How To Feel Like The Main Character During Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

While you should feel like the main character all year round, the fall months bring out the inner protagonist in most. Whether it be the fall foliage, the hot drinks, or urge the urge to read a book at a coffee shop on a rainy day, this is the season to embrace it all. 

When considering what it takes to be the main character, during fall it really isn’t that difficult. Personally, doing my homework in a small town coffee shop while I watch the leaves fall off the trees from the inside, just about does the trick. Living in a small town for college really helps set the mood, the serenity it brings during this time of year exudes full-on Stars Hollow vibes from Gilmore Girls. While on the topic, of Gilmore Girls, reading any piece of literature on a park bench or a mom and pop shop will make you fully feel like Rory Gilmore.

When wanting to feel like the main character, it is always helpful to find inspiration in different types of media. Gossip Girl and Gilmore Girls are the best shows to watch in the fall (especially the Thanksgiving episodes of Gossip Girl, they are iconic). 

Main characters always have an established wardrobe, and what better time to find your style than in the fall. Fall is my favorite season for fashion, primarily because there are so many options with layering, and I am a sucker for sweaters. Use this time to spice up your wardrobe, and find staple pieces to incorporate in your outfits that will make you stand out, but as well as being personal to you. In the fall, I love corduroy, denim and leather—I find feeling like the main character helps when you dress like one. 

With the seasons changing, your attitude should follow suit. This is the time to consider changing your mindset, so stop complaining and comparing. The fall months always bring me so much joy and nostalgia, for when I was a kid and Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas were like heaven on earth. As adults, we should still be able to feel that way! So no matter what I’m dealing with during this time of year, I remain positive because if I spend time dwelling on little inconveniences I’ll miss the magic of the holiday season.  

Too many people fail to realize, that in life you are not an extra, the sidekick, or a cameo appearance, you are the main character. Stop comparing your life to other people, once you start putting other people on a pedestal and showing up for yourself, you feel much more secure within yourself. Your perception is your reality, once you start implementing that mindset in your life, you will undoubtedly feel like the main character. 

Fall is the time to fully embrace your main character energy while being completely unapologetically yourself. Make sure to drink as many pumpkin spiced lattes you want and listen to Fleetwood Mac on repeat during these months for that extra hint of main character ambiance.

Thanks for reading, V

Hi, I'm Vanesa! I am currently a Communication major at Illinois State University. I'm so thrilled to be a part of the HerCampus team because writing has always been a huge passion for me and now I have an opportunity to showcase that and grow as a writer. Besides writing, I love horror movies, dramatic tv shows, and iced coffee. I hope you enjoy my articles as much as I enjoy writing them so stay tuned for more! xoxo, V