How to Feel Like a New Person in 2024

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Each year, when January 1st rolls around, it is anticipated in different ways. For some, the New Year is a time for excitement and seeing what it will bring. For others, the time is spent worrying about all that could go wrong. Regardless, a new year is a time of change- whether welcomed or not. As I have aged, I found ways to accept and embrace this change as I progressed into a New Year. Look at it as an opportunity for better outcomes. 

For 2024 in particular, I had some specific ideas in mind. I refuse to call them “resolutions,” because, in reality, the likelihood I would stick to them is very low. Trust me, I know from experience. 

For one, begin the year being active. Whatever this means to you, plan it, and follow through. For me, considering my schedule this semester looks like multiple 13-hour days each week between class and work, I know my time for movement will be limited. However, I want to make the time to squeeze in some movement each day, even if this means a 5-minute walk. If possible, I want to do as much of this physical activity outside as possible because fresh air feels so reviving. Ideally, our negative-degree days are behind us, so I can make this happen.

Another way to enter 2024 feeling refreshed is to make a physical change you have been wanting for a while. Get the haircut, schedule a nail appointment, and try those eyelash extensions. There is truly no time like the present, and although it may be difficult to afford, try to save for that wish. It will help boost your confidence and overall mood, making you ready to conquer the new year.

A final goal I have this year is to eat healthier. As a college student, I know the grocery budget struggle is real. However, it is so easy to replace unhealthy snacks with fresh produce. If fast food is what is keeping you going, try meal prepping in advance. That way, you won’t have to swing by McDonald’s before your 8 am class, and you will have a hearty meal ready to go. There are tons of meal prep recipes on TikTok and Instagram, so at least those endless scrolling habits will be somewhat productive (there’s always next year, right?).

Lastly, keep in mind that each new year is exactly that- a new year. 2024 is a new attempt to do those things you have been longing to do and will be unlike any year previously. Make 2024 count.

Paige Stolp

Illinois State '25

Hi, I'm Paige! I am a junior Middle Level Education major here at Illinois State with endorsements in science and English Language Arts. I enjoy being my own barista, cooking, watching sunrises and sunsets, and all things Taylor Swift!