This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

F. Scott Fitzgerald once said, “Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall” which also means your wardrobe needs a fresh start. Fall is amazing for many reasons, fashion being one of them. With all that said, let’s get into my favorite fashion pieces to wear this fall so you can conquer the crisp air in style. 

Outerwear

Teddy Coats, Leather Jackets,Cardigans, etc.

With the temperatures decreasing, the amount of clothing you wear starts increasing. With that said, outerwear is a must at least in the midwest. Jackets, cardigans, chunky sweaters, rain coats, anything of those sorts will work. Depending on the look you are going for a jacket can be a game changer. 

When I want to dress up a fall outfit, I’ll put on a chunky sweater, cardigan or a leather jacket. Leather jackets give off the perfect girl boss vibe for fall and can pull the outfit all together. Teddy coats are very popular so it can be hard to stand out in them, but I tried to find one that was a different color from what I’ve already seen and that I could see myself wearing a lot. 

Leather Jackets shown are from Forever 21

Pants

Flared, Patterned, Boyfriend, etc.

I’d pick pants over shorts anyday, pants to me are so much more flattering and are an essential for me in the cold months. Skinny jeans are always a safe bet, but they are just too boring for me now; I much prefer trying out patterned pants with simple tops for the fall. However, the most flattering pants to me are the flared/bootcut style because they give the allusion that your legs are a lot slimmer than they are and paired with heeled boots you appear taller than you actually are as well. They are different enough that you will stand out but it doesn’t look as if your going out of your way to stand out. 

Flared Pants are from Target & Forever 21

Shoes

Knee high boots, Booties, etc.

Shoes can really make or break an outfit, my go to shoes for the fall are black ankle booties. I got my pair at Forever 21 for pretty cheap and I wear them almost everyday, the heel is pretty thick so they are very wearable for everyday use. Over the knee boots are great when you want to wear a skirt or dress because they can keep a good portion of your legs warm, while being super stylish. 

All black w/ a pop of color

My favorite colors to wear in fall are burgundy, orange and of course, black. Black is a must all year round, but something about wearing it in the fall just seems so much more fitting. I love wearing an all black outfit then just adding something like a headband or a pair of shoes to add color; it’s simple yet effective.

Hope this was helpful, if you were in need of some inspiration on what to wear to your next trip to the pumpkin patch. Fall is the best time of year so don’t waste it by being that girl who only wears leggings and uggs all season. Try something new with your wardrobe this fall, you’ll never know what else you like if you never step out of your comfort zone.

Thanks for reading, V

Hi, I'm Vanesa! I am currently a Communication major at Illinois State University. I'm so thrilled to be a part of the HerCampus team because writing has always been a huge passion for me and now I have an opportunity to showcase that and grow as a writer. Besides writing, I love horror movies, dramatic tv shows, and iced coffee. I hope you enjoy my articles as much as I enjoy writing them so stay tuned for more! xoxo, V
Contributor account for Illinois State