How To: Make Your Own High Waisted Jean

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

This is my favorite DIY for spring and summer! Why spend $60 buying high-waist shorts when you can make them yourself for $5?

Materials:

• old jeans
  • chalk or pen
  • scissors
  • foot scrubber
  • seam ripper

Step 1. Take a trip to the thrift store. Bring on the Mom jeans! You’re looking for older jeans that will sit higher on your waist. Some good indications of this will be a lighter wash, and a longer zipper. Also, the waist should be smaller than the hips and don’t forget to try them on!

Step 2. Measure now, or you’ll pay later. Before cutting anything, put your jeans on and decide how short you want them. Use a piece of chalk or a pen and mark the appropriate length. Then lay your jeans on a flat surface and fold them in half so that the back pockets are facing outward.  Be sure to line up the seams exactly so that both legs are even. You can also use a pair of similar shorts you already and use those as a guide for the length. Use the chalk or pen and draw a line using a ruler of where you will cut the shorts. I recommend drawing a line slanting slightly upward because you will want them shorter on the hips. Remember, one you fray the edges of the shorts they will be about a half-inch shorter so measure accordingly. 

Step 3. Snip, snip, snip. Now you’re ready to cut the shorts. Be careful because obviously this cannot be undone! Cut on or slightly below the line using a fabric scissors if you have one. Try the jeans on to make sure they’re the right length. Remember its better to start longer, and cut them shorter little by little. Trust me- I’ve make this mistake one too many times.

Step 4. Destroy. This is the fun part! Once you have cut your jeans into shorts you’re ready to rip them to shreds. Get an idea of where you want your rips by finding pictures online. You can rip your jeans many ways but I’ve found the best rips come from using a foot scrubber. Scrub the foot scrubber horizontally across the shorts where you want the rips.  Go slow until you get the hang of it because if you go too fast you’ll rip big holes right through the shorts.

Step 5. Fray the ends. This is a tedious process but so worth it. To fray the ends of your shorts use a seam ripper and pull on the threads at the bottom. Start right at the edge of the shorts and pull the threads out one by one. Do this all around the bottom of your shorts and pull threads higher for desired fray length.

Step 6. Rock your new shorts. Once you’re finished throw them in the washer and dryer and VOILA!  Your rips and fraying will be more apparent, and your shorts will look awesome. You can also add pyramid or bubble studs if you want. Prepare to be bombarded with complements and overwhelmed with “OMG where did you get your shorts?” Pair your new shorts with a pair of ankle boots and a muscle tee and enjoy! 

Stephanie Bacos

Illinois State

Megan Lawler

Illinois State