This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

There is no time like the present when it comes to eating healthy and fueling your body with the proper nutrients. Breakfast is one of those meals everyone tends to disagree on whether it is the most important or simply not needed. I am by no means a nutritionist but after doing research I learned that the first food item going into your body breaks the fast from the night before and because of this it should be one that is healthy. (And don’t worry having pancakes or a waffle every now and then is okay). Here is a list of some meal options that are easy to make, taste delicious, and are good for you.

Eggs

These can be cooked in a variety of ways; therefore, you won’t grow tired of eating them over and over. Feel free to mix in vegetables when you are cooking them or add seasoning for a bit of flavor.

Avocado Toast

Having butter or jelly toast may be part of your routine but perhaps try giving avocado a try, especially if you are a guacamole lover. I tend to add a pinch of garlic salt, pepper, and red chili flakes to top it off.

Fruit

Strawberries, banana, kiwi, and blueberries are just a few examples. The list goes on and on but indulging in fruit is a great way to start your morning while simultaneously curing a sweet craving. 

Oatmeal

I used to hate oats… and then I went to college. This is definitely the quickest and cheapest option. Feel free to add whatever toppings you enjoy (fruit, brown sugar, honey, etc.) or buy packages that are preflavored, ranging from cinnamon to maple to peaches.

Protein Shake

If you are constantly on the go in the early part of your day or don’t have a lot of mealtime in your schedule this is a great option. A protein shake will help keep you full for several hours, helping you to make it through your busy day. 

Yogurt

Some people (like myself) do not always feel super hungry in the mornings but it is important to have a little something, even if it is a granola bar or yogurt. I recommend mixing in a little granola to add some crunch and occasionally blueberries for a variety.

Smoothies

Calling all fruit and veggie lovers… smoothies are a great option especially when you find yourself running out of fresh produce. Simply use what you have left in your fridge or freezer and mix it up in a blender. Try to make a smoothie with a blend of ingredients that are high in protein and healthy fats that remain low in sugar.

Feel free to try out any of these suggestions. If you aren’t sure what to put in your smoothie or how to cook your eggs just look online. After all, cooking is trial and error. It may take a few times to make something you will enjoy. However, once you find your go-to meal your mornings will be bit brighter and you will feel better knowing you are making a healthy choice.

Lynn Merigold

Illinois State '23

Lynn graduated from Illinois State University, where she was a contributing writer, chapter editor/president, and member of the Campus Trendsetters community. When she’s not teaching, you can find her spending time with family/friends, attending a fitness class, or listening to an audiobook!
Contributor account for Illinois State