‘Glee’ Says Goodbye To Their Quarterback Cory Monteith

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

If you heard sobs on Thursday night, chances are they were coming from girls across campus tuning in to Glee’s farewell to Cory Montieth, lovingly titled “The Quarterback.”

The 31-year-old star’s passing was a shock this past July when Montieth was found dead in his Vancouver hotel room, the cause of death cited as a mix of heroin and alcohol. Known for privately dealing with addiction and completing a stint in rehab this past spring, his passing was sudden and sent a shock through the hearts of fans young and old.

Including six songs, mostly sung by original cast members of the show, the memorial episode was no-frills and truly heartbreaking.  The most emotional point in the one hour memorial came when Lea Michele, Montieth’s girlfriend both on and off of the show, sang a cover of “To Make You Feel My Love” in his memory.

It seems as if Montieth’s death hits so close to home because he was such a presence in pop culture for the past four years. After a meteoric rise to fame on Glee, he gained a reputation as someone who was kindhearted and heavily involved in charitable works. Before his passing he advocated for Project Limelight, a Vancouver-based arts charity which has received bittersweet publicity after the star’s passing. In an odd way, that exposure seems to be something Mr. Montieth would have appreciated.

So, with a heavy heart the audience of Glee spent the night paying their final farewell to a kind-hearted quarterback who showed the value of being yourself both onscreen and off. He deserved a tribute that was fit for a quaterback: someone who brought people together and brought out the best in people, and that is exactly what Glee delivered. 

Kelsey Farrell

Illinois State

Megan Lawler

Illinois State