Foods to Get You Through Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Finals week is finally upon us. I think that every college student can agree that we can get caught up and overwhelmed in our studying throughout the week. We often forget to take a break and grab something to eat to refuel our brains.  Here are some snack ideas to bring with you on the go to the library or wherever your favorite study spot is.

Peanut Butter and Apple Slices

This healthy snack is a great source of protein and the apple has a natural source of caffeine.  Cut an apple into slices previously and put it into a bad and pack a side of protein packed peanut butter for dipping and you’re set!

Smart Pop Popcorn

Skinny Pop popcorn is a guilt free snack that can be a great substitute for chips.  Skinny Pop is gluten free, has no GMOs and no preservative or artificial anything.  A serving of Skinny Pop is just 39 calories! So you can feel guilt-free while satisfying that salty craving while studying for finals.

Fruit Smoothie

Make a fruit smoothie before hitting the books.  Adding berries is a great source of antioxidants.  Here is a great recipe for a green tea berry smoothie:

-2 cups of blueberries (fresh or frozen)

– 3-4 strawberries cut up

– 5 tbl spoons of non-fat plain yogurt

– 1/4 cup of green tea using 2 tea bags (Brew before making the smoothie so the tea can cool down)

Blend all together and enjoy! 

Hummus and Vegetables

Hummus is a great source of protein and a perfect side to compliment vegetables like celery and carrots that have little to no calories! Pita bread is also a great side with hummus.  It never hurts to have a few carbs.  

Dark Chocolate

Dark chocolate is the perfect treat to satisfy that sweet tooth.  It is full of flavonoids and polyphenols that enhance your concentration and cognitive functioning.  Dark chocolate also has a natural source of caffeine which can come in handy as an energy booster.

Contributor account for Illinois State