This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

As October starts rolling in and the weather hits 60 degrees, we can all feel the excitement as fall feels like it’s officially starting. Not only is this finally an acceptable time to buy a pumpkin spice latte and start planning Halloween costumes, but it’s finally time to start diving into some calmer and cozier music while moving past the upbeat summer beats. Think, less “More Than a Woman” by the Bee Gees and more “Michelle” by the Beatles. Here are some albums and singles I’ve been listening to as my favorite sweater-weather, leaf-changing season kicks off.

1. All Things Must Pass by George Harrison

This album is always in my rotating mix since George Harrison has been my long-time favorite Beatle. However, somehow this album sounds even better when the fall season starts. Songs like “All Things Must Pass” and “I Live For You” are perfect for those classic overcast days. But, a good handful of songs are great for both cloudy days and sunny crisp ones. “My Sweet Lord,” “What Is Life” and “If Not For You” put a pep in my step on my walk to class every day. My favorite song off the album is the first one, “I’d Have You Anytime.” It’s definitely a slower one, but I love it so much that I listen to it even when it’s sunny. 

1. “Just A Song Before I Go” by Crosby, Stills, and Nash 

I had this song on repeat when I left home to go back to college. It perfectly captures that bittersweet feeling of excitement to be moving on, but nostalgia for what you’re leaving behind and the memories created there. As much as I associated this one with leaving home, I would definitely also say that it applies to the changing of seasons. Fall is not only about change and shedding off old things in a natural sense, but it can be taken as a metaphorical one. Fall is a time for change, and this song shows just that.

1. “New Kid in Town” by The Eagles 

This is another song that I had on repeat while I was going through a weird transition in August, one where I was physically on campus and having fun, but I knew my heart belonged at home hiking. One of my best friends showed me this song to help me cope with being, yet again, the “new kid in town” this semester. Not only is it a calm fall jam, but it’s about change and realization…perfect to listen to while watching the leaves turn brown. 

1. Chet Baker Sings by Chet Baker 

Chet Baker is just a classic jazz musician who has been truly heartbroken. Who doesn’t love some jazz during the fall? Especially jazz that tugs on the heartstrings for a significant other or a friend? 

1. Chloë and the Next 20th Century by Father John Misty

Another jazz album, what can I say? Something about fall and jazz goes together. You may know Father John Misty from his hit single, “Real Love Baby” (which is also a great fall song for just staying in and making apple cider, by the way). However, this album is unlike anything he has released before, a modern take on jazz over his usual indie folk. And in my eyes, he absolutely nails it. A favorite of mine off the album is “Buddy’s Rendezvous,” a five-minute ballot written by Lana Del Rey. Close runner-ups are “Chloë,” “Funny Girl,” and “Kiss Me (I Loved You).” 

I am well aware that these are a bit of a random mix. I’m blending the seventies sound with some classic and modern jazz and calling it a “fall vibe.” But, I really think that’s the true beauty of music. You can have such broad interests and there doesn’t even need to be a real explanation for your taste. Whatever feels “fall” to you, whatever feels orange and brown when you listen to it, whatever tastes like pumpkin pie when you put in your earbuds, those are your fall tunes.

Kaylee Sugimoto

Illinois State '24

Hi there, I’m Kaylee! I was born in California but raised in Portland, Oregon. I'm a retired Division 1 athlete, and now study journalism and psychology at ISU. If I'm not on campus, I'm probably on a mountain or somewhere without service in the desert. So don't text, I mean it.