This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.
“What are your plans after graduation?”
“Have you been looking at job positions?”
“Have you applied anywhere yet?”

I’m sure we’ve all been asked these questions before. Whether you’re a freshman in college or a senior, these questions had to have popped up at some point during your holiday family gatherings this year. They just always do. And want to know something else about these questions?

They suck.

No offense to anyone who has ever asked me, or anyone, these questions, but I think they do more harm than good. On one hand, they can force someone to get on track if they haven’t been thinking about these things, but on the other, they can totally stress someone out because now all they’re going to be thinking about is that they’re behind.

But want to know something?

I don’t know what my plans are after graduation. I have not been looking at job positions. I have not applied anywhere yet. And that’s okay.

I admit, being in the second semester of my senior year, I probably should start looking and applying for jobs. But that doesn’t mean everyone I encounter has to interrogate me about it. I know their intentions are good, but when I said some people can get totally stressed out, I meant me. I am totally stressed out.

I have classes, an internship, and work, but wait, I also have to start considering what I want to actually do for the rest of my life and start applying to those positions. That’s life, I guess.

The sad truth, however, is that as daunting as applying to big-girl jobs is, my fears of being a soon-to-be college graduate don’t stop there.

I have a lot more fears.

What if I can’t find any jobs I seem interested in? What’s the interview process like? What if I don’t get hired? What if I don’t know what I’m doing on the first day? What if I start my first job and hate it?

The list goes on.

And it’s hard to focus when my mind looks like that on a daily: overthinking, afraid and stressed out. But what I have to say to myself, and anyone else out there afraid of the unknown that comes with graduating college, is: Take a deep breath. In and out. Again.

Stop psyching yourself out. You’ll get there when you get there, on your own time. Who says there’s a time limit on applying for jobs? How about, when you want a job, start applying. Who says you have to know everything on the first day? I mean, that’s basically what training is for. Who says you have to love your first job? Unfortunately, not everyone does, but that’s okay because you’re gaining the experience needed for the job that you will love.

I guess what I’m trying to say is

Stop looking ahead and try taking it day by day. There’s no reason to get so stressed out that you feel behind or feel pressured to do things, you’re not ready for. When the time is right, you’ll know. Until then, kick butt in your classes and extra-curriculars and savor whatever time left you have of college because when you think about it, all we get is four years here. Don’t waste it.   

Alexa Fricilone

Illinois State '23

Alexa is a recent journalism graduate of Illinois State University and current student at NYU's Summer Publishing Institute. She has been a contributing writer since 2021 and our Junior Editor since 2022. Follow her on Instagram @alexafricilone