This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

With the weather finally warming up, it’s time start putting away the winter coats and boots and bring out the high-waisted shorts and matching sets! One of my favorite things about spring and summer is being able to walk outside without a 5 pound jacket weighing you down. With that said, I wanted to share some of my go-to staple pieces for the upcoming season.

Fashion Scarves

google

Wearing a scarf is a very easy way to dress up any outfit, not to be confused with cable knitted winter scarves. I’m referring to silk scarves that have several patterns and colors which are multi purposeful. They are so cute to put in your hair and make you stand out, they can also be used around your neck or tied through your jeans. Since you won’t be as eager to wear as many layers with the temperature increase, scarves are perfect to spice up any outfit.

Matching Sets

google

The reason I’m so drawn to matching sets is to the simple matter of them being so eye catching. Whenever I see anyone with a fun patterned set I always compliment their outfit because it is impossible to blend in with that kind of outfit. With the warmer months ahead, it’s time to stop hiding under plain colored coats and be bold with some fun sets. Matching sets exude confidence and are great showstoppers for any event you have planned this spring or summer.

Denim Shorts

google

This goes without saying that denim shorts are one of the most popular summer fashion trends, particularly high-waisted ones. They are so easy to throw on with a cute crop top and some sneakers, and voila a completed outfit. Even though they are pretty simple, they are so versatile and essential for everyday looks when it’s too hot to wear anything else.

Flowy Pants

google

For the cooler days, flowy pants are a must have. Unlike tight jeans, these pants are freeing and comfortable. I would wear these pants walking the streets of downtown, the beach, or simply going to the mall. There are so many colors and patterns they can come in and most importantly, you won’t die of heat stroke when you wear them.

Cat Eye Sunglasses

google

During the hotter months of the year, wearing a ton of clothing isn’t ideal, that’s where accessories come into play. Sunglasses are obviously great for the sole purpose of being able to see when the sun is out, but are also a go to for looking fierce and chic. Cat eye sunglasses in specific display sophistication and class. They can completely transform a look and make you look ready to take on anything.

Those were some of my favorite fashion staples for spring and summer that I will definitely be sporting this year. All these pieces are great when transitioning to warmer seasons and definitely something to try out when you don’t know what to wear.

Thanks for reading, V

Hi, I'm Vanesa! I am currently a Communication major at Illinois State University. I'm so thrilled to be a part of the HerCampus team because writing has always been a huge passion for me and now I have an opportunity to showcase that and grow as a writer. Besides writing, I love horror movies, dramatic tv shows, and iced coffee. I hope you enjoy my articles as much as I enjoy writing them so stay tuned for more! xoxo, V
Contributor account for Illinois State