This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Dear Miss. Collegiate, 

I am a senior and am realizing college is slowly, but surely coming to an end… and getting serious anxiety about. I won’t be living next door to my friends, it won’t be acceptable to go out 4/7 days of the week, and I have to start thinking about what I’m actually going to do for the rest of my life. Any advice as to how to ease this pain and calm myself down about leaving this place?

Sincerely, 

The Redbird that’s never leaving the nest 

Dear Nervous Redbird, 

This is never an easy thing for anyone to go through.. The transition from college to the “real world” is something almost every college student has to cope with in their own individual way. What’s right for you, may not be right for someone else. 

The best piece of advice I can give you – don’t waste the time you do have being afraid of days that have yet to come. Be present and make the most of each minute. If you aren’t sad that you are leaving college in a few months, you didn’t do college the right way. Yes, there are some amazing things to look forward to, but the lessons learned and experiences gained throughout your time here are what you will carry with you when you take your next steps and move forward. 

So, why not make the most of it? Anytime you look too far into the future, it’s scary because it’s unknown. Focus on what you can control. You can’t necessarily control what happens to you, but you have full control over how you react and the attitude you bring. Change is hard in any situation, but all good things usually come to an end…just make it worthwhile. 

Sincerely, 

HerCampus ISU

Questions? Comments? Need Advice? 

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/S3W93GR

Katy Winge

Illinois State

Student at Illinois State University. Member of the Women's Basketball Team. Historian for Zeta Tau Alpha- Eta Phi Chapter. From Minnetonka, MN.