This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

It is finally time when graduation is on the cusp. I cannot believe I am graduating from college already. With this chapter in my life closing, I have been taking the time to reflect on my journey at Illinois State University. Something I will never forget has been my involvement in Her Campus and the opportunities that have come from this organization. 

Thinking back, I remember seeing the Her Campus ISU Instagram page before I started as a freshman in the fall of 2019. I remember being overwhelmed by the idea of college, but I knew I wanted to be involved. I decided to follow the HC ISU Instagram page and eventually saw a poster hanging up in one of the academic halls. 

I remember scrolling through the page, reading article after article. I knew right then and there that I wanted to join. I remember applying online, using the link in the Instagram bio, and going on with my freshman year. It was around September or October when I heard back from the two Campus Correspondents, Mia, and Ashley, that my application was accepted. I was thrilled! 

I began writing for Her Campus at Illinois State during my freshman year and have been a contributing writer ever since. I was fortunate enough to hold a few leadership positions. I held the Events Coordinator position in my sophomore year, where I had the pleasure of organizing in-person and online events for our team. My favorite events I developed were the Writing Workshop and a Kahoot game, where we had to guess fun facts about members of our chapter. In my junior year, I was fortunate to hold the Editor-In-Chief position and was chapter president for Illinois State. I had such a great experience leading the team, editing and proofing articles and learning more about one another. There is something so powerful in writing that we all share the same passion for. As a senior, I have focused more on my writing, stepping down from a leadership position in order to focus on my student teaching experience. 

Coming up with article ideas has not always been easy, but I have appreciated the freedom and creativity we are given. I write about mental health, physical health, well-being, education, life experiences and so much more. The possibilities are almost endless for what you can write about. 

If you are interested in joining a Her Campus chapter at your college… DO IT! If you are interested in starting a chapter on your campus…. DO IT! Her Campus at Illinois State has been such a wonderful organization to be part of throughout the years, and I will forever be grateful for the opportunities I have had, the development of my writing and editing skills and the friendships I’ve made seeing strong girl bosses ahead of me follow in the same steps. 

I wish all the current (and future) members of Her Campus at Illinois State the best of luck! It has been such a pleasure writing, reading and working with all of you. 

For the very last time: 

HCXO, 

Lynn

Lynn Merigold

Illinois State '23

Lynn graduated from Illinois State University, where she was a contributing writer, chapter editor/president, and member of the Campus Trendsetters community. When she’s not teaching, you can find her spending time with family/friends, attending a fitness class, or listening to an audiobook!