Life > Experiences

Letters of Gratitude for My Biggest Supporters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

For some reason, this has been the most challenging semester yet for me. Crazy to hear, right? Considering we had many dynamic semesters during this pandemic, I thought the craziness was behind me. I was wrong. I’ve been extremely busy with my coursework and navigating the start of adulthood. Although there’s been a lot going on, I know it will all be worth it long-term. With that said, I wanted to thank the people around me who have been my biggest supporters, not only this semester but all of the time. Without these wonderful people as my support system, I would really be struggling this semester.

To my family

I could go on and on about my family. My brother and I are both here at Illinois State, which has been extremely fun. (Fun fact: all of my siblings and I are Redbirds). We don’t see each other as often as I’d like but it’s heartwarming knowing he is right there if I need him. Similarly, my parents and I talk a lot on the phone, some weeks more than others. It’s really important to have a support system, especially if you’re living on your own at college and are away from home. My family, both my immediate and extended, are always there to support me. During the hard days, it’s reassuring knowing they believe in me and want to see me succeed. At the same time, they always try to remind me to take everything one day at a time. To my family, I love you all and thank you for everything you do for me and will continue to do.

To my boyfriend

Leaving for school without you by my side has been difficult for me, considering how much time we were able to spend together over the summer. As much as I love our phone calls during your drive home from work, I always miss seeing you. No matter what, you are always there for me whenever I need you. You always are rooting for me, pushing me to do my best and reminding me how proud you are of me. Without your encouragement, I would be feeling much more lost, not seeing the light at the end of my tunnel. You always remind me how hard I’m working on my career and how valuable that will be long-term. To my boyfriend, I love you. Thank you for being my person and being by my side always.

To my friends near and far

All of you always make me laugh until my stomach hurts. We’re all extremely busy with our schedules, but the time we spend together is one of my favorite parts of the college experience. I have been extremely busy lately but hopefully, we’ll start doing more fun things together, like driving around doing carpool karaoke or going out for dinner in Uptown. To my college friends, thank you for showing me to have fun and not take life so seriously.

For my far friends, I miss you all tremendously, but I appreciate how we can pick right up where we left off. That is how I know we are true friends if it’s like no time has passed. I always am excited when I visit home and can hang out with all of you, especially my neighbor, who has been my best friend for many years. To my friends from home, thank you for being my true friends even if we aren’t able to see each other as much as we’d like.

Fall time always has me feeling thankful, especially with Thanksgiving approaching next month. I’m so grateful for my family, boyfriend and friends, who are all wonderful people in my life. There are many more people in my life I appreciate but I wanted to remind those who have been helping me during this semester that their support doesn’t go unnoticed. I hope this article inspires you to tell those around you how appreciative you are of them because maybe you don’t always let your support system know how much they mean to you. We could all benefit from hearing a thank you now and again and a reminder of how much someone cares about you.

Lynn Merigold

Illinois State '23

Lynn graduated from Illinois State University, where she was a contributing writer, chapter editor/president, and member of the Campus Trendsetters community. When she’s not teaching, you can find her spending time with family/friends, attending a fitness class, or listening to an audiobook!