A Genetic Blessing. Why I Love Having Bad Eye-Sight.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

I’m not sure what it is, but if I wear or don’t wear my glasses, it’s as if I have an alter ego. I literally feel like I’m two different people in one. In sixth grade, I developed the horrible habit of taking my glasses off whenever I “didn’t” need them. Yet, if you wear glasses, wouldn’t you need them? Since then, I’ve been doing this thing where I only wear my glasses in private, in class when I need to see the board, at night or while cleaning my service area at work. I avoid wearing my glasses in public due to insecurity and because I enjoy my alter-ego when I don’t have them on.

Like, I’m always so clueless about what’s going on in my environment and surroundings that I come across as oblivious and empty-headed. This may sound horrible, but I find it hilarious. There are numerous other reasons why I enjoy not being able to see most of the time. Those being that I’m preparing myself for worst-case scenarios, I get to escape reality and I don’t have to see the ugliness within the world. Allow me to elaborate: 

Worst-case Scenarios

What if I don’t have my glasses one day and I’m caught up in a robbery or kidnapped? What if the apocalypse begins and my glasses break and I don’t have backups? I don’t want to appear as vulnerable and weak as Velma Dinkley.

“My glasses!” “I can’t see without my glasses!”

No, I want to be so accustomed to the fact that I can’t see without them that I can see. When I am unable to rely on an essential sense, I am training myself to be alert and critical of my surroundings. Do you get what I’m saying? So that Jinkies-ish can miss me!

Escape from Reality

Escapism is not a new concept to me. I’ve always used video games and television to escape. Yet the thing I enjoy the most about not being able to see is not being able to see reality at all. Everything is hazy, and I’m not sure what or who is present. My imagination serves as a source of insight for me. It actually just helps me tune out the world as well as listen to loud music through my headphones, which I do most of the time.

The only issue I have is when someone I know breaks the illusion and returns me to reality. I’d usually walk right past them because I had no idea they were there, or they’d say hello to me and I wouldn’t recognize it until the last second. Nevertheless, most of the time, when I just want to sit back and relax, I remove my glasses and zone out.

Goodbye, Ugly.

So, as a college student, I live in dorms and must use communal bathrooms. We all do or did at some point, right? I never wear my glasses in the restroom because I don’t want to see what’s going on! I’m sure there’s hair and muck and slime and everything in the showers, but I don’t have to know since I can’t see anything. It makes me feel more at ease to be unaware of something that could completely change my outlook.

Being unable to see literally assists me in avoiding all of my troubles! It’s also my best justification for acting like an idiot most of the time. They then question me, “If you act like that, why don’t you wear your glasses?” And I’m not going to tell them why. Instead, I’ll explain that “they hurt my ears when I wear them for too long.” They really do, and then I get away with it!

You might think I’m crazy, but I enjoy not being able to see. It simply allows me to escape reality and avoid seeing things that aren’t visually appealing. It also boosts my confidence when I look in the mirror. My mother had to wear contacts before surgery, and my father wears glasses and is legally blind in one eye. Two of my grandparents also use glasses, therefore my entire family has passed on their poor vision to me. Hey, thanks for reading, and stay cute.

Ashlee Salter

Illinois State '26

Hi, it's a pleasure to meet you! I'm Ashlee Salter, a sophomore at ISU majoring in Fashion Merchandising (bound to change). My goal in life is to travel the world, witnessing breath-taking landscapes and experiencing one in a lifetime experiences. I am overjoyed to be writing new, creative, inspiring, and thought-provoking blogs for everyone who reads Her Campus. Some facts about myself: I am passionate about film, food, entertainment, the visual arts, and literature. I've been writing for almost my entire life, and Her Campus has given me the opportunity to share my writing with the world. I am eternally grateful! Thank you for taking the time to learn more about me.