The Redbirds have set the standard extremely high this fall; the sad thing is, many students have no idea. Maybe sports aren’t your thing, and maybe you’re not into the whole school spirit thing. But at the very least you should know your school is making history in the sport world. If you thought Illinois State wasn’t a school with a top-notch athletic reputation, think again. Here are 5 reasons you should reconsider attending a few games, especially right now.
1. You won’t ever be a student attending your school’s sporting events again. Let’s face it; most of us only have four years to be college students. There really is no experience like cheering on your team when you’re currently attending the University. Talk about pride and commitment.
2. It’s a cheap (sometimes free), fun thing to do with friends. As a student, the rates are as low as they will ever be. Sports are a great study break, source of entertainment, and recreational activity. Plus, a lot of us played back in high school and it’s fun to relive the glory days and reminisce about the all-stars we used to be. The ability as a student to attend action packed games will probably never be this accessible again.
3. See the athletes playing in their element. The athletes on campus sometimes get a bad rep as being somewhat ungrateful and egotistical. My best advice would be to watch them at their most vulnerable which is during times of competition. Only then will you get to witness and experience the passion they have for a game they love. Once you see them play, you will also get to know them as regular students. They’re regular people trying to figure out life, just like you.
4. Hope. Sports are a physical portrayal that anything can happen any given day. The underdog can win. The unexpected is possible. Everybody loves a Cinderella story. When you watch games that have “scratch and claw” comebacks, there is no denying that hard work and perseverance can pay off.
5. In case you didn’t know…the Redbirds are dang GOOD right now. Volleyball, Soccer, and Football are all UNDEFEATED in conference. Football is 7-0 for the first time since Howard Hancock was the coach back in 1932. For those of you that haven’t been to the football stadium, it’s named Hancock for a reason. Soccer just won the Conference Championship…again. Volleyball is currently the number one spot in the Missouri Valley Conference. If that doesn’t give you a reason to go out and support your Redbirds, I don’t know what will.