5 Reasons The Office is The Next Series You Need to Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

If you just finished your latest Netflix or Hulu series and are in a show slump, I have your solution: The Office. I am sure you have heard of the series and probably have an idea what it is about. Yet you don’t find yourself too eager to watch it. I was the same way, but on a recommendation from a friend I found myself staying up late just to see the Dunder Mifflin Paper Company, Inc. at work. The episodes are usually only 20 minutes long which makes them great for in-between class time. It also means that you will find yourself glued to your computer because it “doesn’t feel like you’ve been watching for that long.” But enough about how obsessed you will become with the series, let me tell you WHY you should start it.

1. AN ISU ALUM IS ON IT: Having received his undergrad at Illinois State University in 1994, Craig Robinson appears in 119 of the 201 episodes aired. He starts off as the foreman for the downstairs warehouse, eventually being promoted to the upstairs office. His character sometimes seems to have a dry personality, coming off humorless. He comes off this way mostly because he doesn’t go along with all of The Office’s shenanigans. Competent and outgoing, Craig Robinson’s portrayal of Darryl Philbin makes us all proud to be Redbirds.

2. Jim and Pam: In the world of The Office Jim and Pam are the couple you want to be. Throughout the series they basically have a fairytale love story. However, the romance isn’t what you might expect considering they both sell paper in good old Scranton, PA. Watching them face obstacles that any everyday couple would face brings them back down to Earth and connects them deeper with the audience. Just in case love stories aren’t really your favorite thing to watch, just focus on the very handsome John Krasinski and you’ll be okay.

3. Michael Scott: Steve Carell plays the fantastic role of the egocentric, oblivious, and actually very caring regional manager of Dunder Mifflin. Carell brings his character to life with smart comments and crazy actions. In the beginning you probably won’t like Michael Scott, mostly because he comes off as an ignorant and impulsive person. As the series progresses you’ll find that Scott is just a very lonely guy who’s also very loving and giving to those around him. This character development alone is a great reason to watch the show.

4. Characters talk directly to the audience: One of the reasons I like The Office is because it is basically a mockumentary (a fake documentary). With that, the characters themselves are seen throughout the series giving mini interviews discussing events of the day. This concept was the first of its kind television wise and it is enjoyable to get some personal interaction with the characters. Knowing that they are being recorded also kind of shapes the characters actions and reactions. 

5. It has nine great seasons: If you’re like me, you probably love to binge watch television shows whenever you have free time. With nine glorious seasons adding up to 201 total episodes, you’ll never get bored with The Office. The show brings a comic relief to our otherwise stressful college lives, along with shear happiness.

Contributor account for Illinois State