freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

4 Reasons Why Most Relationships Fail

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

1 Corinthians 13:4-5: “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.”

4 Reasons Why Most Relationships Fail

You know how you have those couples that are constantly on again, off again? If you find yourself reading this and you can definitely relate, this article may be for you. We’re in a new era, things have changed and relationships have too.  In a bad way? Well from my experience, I’ve seen couples who cannot even make it past the first month because of a few simple, but important reasons.

1. The first problem is that couples don’t know how to stick it out. According to Pew Research Center, 13% of women and 31% of men who have divorced said they wished they had worked harder to save their marriage, but 65% of woman and 3 out of 4 men say they wished their spouse had worked harder. Relationships are a commitment. As you get to the nitty gritty, things start to become difficult, but you can’t just quit. I’ve been in a relationship for almost two years now and I think the most important thing that I’ve realized is that it’s no longer just about you. You know the saying “It goes both ways,” well it does. Both partners have to make SACRIFICES to satisfy their partner’s needs.

2. On the other hand, I often see relationships move too fast as well.  It is not a race. You’re not competing to see who can last the longest. Both partners should be on the same page because if you aren’t, the whole thing falls apart. You are pretty much a team and what you do can have an effect on the other. You should be able to build off each other’s strength and weakness. Where one person lacks, the other should pick up and vice versa. 71% of committed relationships use social networking sites. They see these ideal pictures of how couples should act and are so caught up on following the same pattern when all it does is cause complications.

3. It’s hard for you to trust them. Social media plays a huge role in relationships. With Facebook and Snapchat it’s not hard to “get in the DM.” Surveys show that 8% of young adults say they have been upset by something their partner was doing online. With technology advancing, communication becomes easier and so does cheating. Insecurities begin to grow and jealousy starts to show. But why does this happen?

4. Not communicating. Often times we hear this one expressed the most because it is a key factor. If something is bothering you or you can’t seem to agree on one thing, talk about it. Trust me, I know it can be hard when your pissed, but sometimes we have to just bite the bullet and do it. People are so afraid of making themselves vulnerable when really that’s the key to a better connection with your partner.

All in all, if you love someone the bigger picture should be making sure each other are both happy. Relationships can be a learning process and it is all about growing. Once you have mastered that, you will see yourselves connecting closer than ever.

Ariel McGee

Illinois State