This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

For many people, college is a place where people meet their long-life partners. Many people who don’t have a high school sweetheart automatically assume that they will meet their sweetheart in college. In fact, most people bank on the hope that they will meet their partners in college. But there is one huge roadblock that is stopping a lot of people from finding their one true love. That roadblock is fraternity boys.

While reading this, you are probably reflecting on your random frat dude fling that wasted your time and hurt your feelings. Guys in fraternities are usually not here to lock it down. Especially as a freshman in college. They enjoy the ride of hooking up and meeting new girls every weekend and that’s perfectly okay! We’re young and in college! There should be no judgment for people meeting new romantic interests and acting on them, as long as they are respectful and safe because you only live once. However, frat guys know how to get a girl’s heart and use them to boost their ego.

Now, not every guy in a fraternity is like this. Some are really caring, funny and respectful. Maybe you’ve met a frat boy recently and are genuinely interested in a future with him. But how do you know for sure that he isn’t going to toy with your emotions and break your heart? Here are 3 ways to know if a frat guy is into you.

1. He makes time to meet up with you during the day

This is a huge one for me. Many times, when you are talking to a new guy, their idea of a date includes the nighttime. They like to use the excuse that they are busy during the day, but we all know the real reason they like to meet after 8:00 pm. If a guy is talking about meeting up, and they suggest a time before 8:00 pm, in daylight, at a nice place, then that might mean he is genuinely interested in you. This means he wants to do more than hook up with you. He wants to spend genuine time together.

2. He takes you somewhere other than a party

Sure, college parties are tons of fun, trust me. And sure, on a Friday night, a party with your potential boyfriend sounds cool. But, if he is only ever asking to see you at a party on Friday and Saturday, then that might mean that he is honestly just trying to get the party filled with people. If he asks to go to get coffee, or food, or go bowling, something other than a party or group hangout, then he wants to get to know you one-on-one. At parties, it’s hard to get privacy to learn more about one another. If he is reaching out to you to do more lowkey things, then he is definitely into you!

3. He lets his fraternity brothers know that you and he are “talking”

Frat guys are supposed to be a brotherhood. If the frat guy you’re talking to doesn’t let his brothers know that he is interested in you, then this could be a problem. This would give his other brothers the idea that you are open to anyone, but you just want the one guy you’re into. If your crush lets his brothers know that you and he are “talking,” this puts you in a good place with the fraternity. It also lets you know that he too sees something between you guys.

Hopefully, after reading this you can look back on how the relationship between you and your fraternity crush is going and decide if it’s worth putting in the effort or if it’s a huge waste of time. Always remember that you are worthy of love, and if a random boy you just met does not meet those standards, it’s okay to cut the cord and keep looking!

Alysa Hammerquist

Illinois State '26

Alysa is a freshman at Illinois State University and when she isn't writing for Her Campus, you can find her reading a good book, watching new girl, or hitting the gym. Follow Alysa on Instagram @alysaxh for all things Her Campus.