10 Things to Always Keep in Mind

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Being college students, we all know how hard life can sometimes be. Everyone goes through stress and we all handle our troubles in different ways. However, often times we don’t realize how well we truly are doing. If you can relate, or just need a pick-me-up, keep reading… and the next time that you’re feeling down, remember to keep these things in mind:

1. Give yourself credit.

People are always so quick to judge, but most of the time our biggest critic is ourselves. Whether people are outspoken about it or not, sometimes our biggest struggles come from within. In times like these, it’s important to remind yourself that you’re doing the best you can and you’ve made it this far and that deserves some recognition. Keep your head up and remember that your troubles won’t last forever.

2. It’s ok to not give in to peer pressure.

There is always going to be pressure put on us by others. Sometimes it’s the good kind, like being pressured to study a little longer for a huge test. But most of the time it’s the bad kind of peer pressure. The kind that forces you to have another drink when you know that you probably shouldn’t… It’s ok to say no, even to your friends. Only you know what’s best for you!

3. Don’t let the past bring you down.

If something is in the past, it’s there for a reason. There is no point in worrying yourself sick over something that you can no longer change. Here’s a word of advice: let go of the people who never let you forget about your past mistakes. All you can do is focus on the future and keep your eye on the prize.

4. You’re never alone.

There is always going to be someone out there who is going through the same exact things that you are, even if you don’t believe it.

5. Let go of things you can’t control.

You will drive yourself crazy trying to control every aspect of your life. Let go and let God.

6. Know how to make your own happiness.

Happiness is a choice. Sometimes choosing to be happy takes a lot of courage, but in the end it is worth it. Try to find the good in every day and enjoy the little things in life. There is always so much to be thankful for and a lot of times we forget that no one can make our happiness for us, it’s something we must choose.

7. Look at past failures as lessons learned.

Failure is hard to accept for everyone no matter who you are, but if you don’t move on from it you can’t learn from it. Luckily, life goes on.

8. There’s always someone who has it worse than you do.

Everyone has their bad days, but it’s important to remember that it’s just a bad day, not a bad life. Always be thankful for what you have and the sweet nothings that life has to offer you because there are people out there who would love to have your bad days.

9. It’s impossible to please everyone.

No matter what you do and how hard you try, you will never please everyone. There is always going to be someone who disapproves, so do what makes you happy and the right people will support you and your decisions.

10. It’s ok to ask for help.

There are so many people out there who want to see you succeed whether you believe it or not. Don’t ever hesitate to ask for help because only fools are afraid to admit that they need help getting by.

Alyse Marin

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State