This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

The school year is only about one month away! That means it is almost time to take a break from class work and enjoy the warm summer days. You might be thinking, “Hey, I don’t need a job this summer I have some money saved up.” but let me tell you, summer can start getting pretty boring when all of your friends have jobs full time and you are the only one laying around all day. Or you might be thinking the exact opposite and already be looking for a job to earn some cash for the next school year. Either way, take a look at my top 10 summer jobs that will make you some money and make sure you have an enjoyable summer break off of school.

1. Lifeguard– This is a classic summer job and honestly it’s fun. You can hang out with people the same age in the lifeguard stand and get your tan on while at work. What more can you ask for? Plus, the other guards usually become friends halfway through the summer and start hanging out with each other outside of work. It’s a win-win. You gain more friends to go out with at home before you have to come back to school.

2. Nanny– This can be a little tricky if you don’t know someone that has younger kids but luckily there have been a couple of websites created to help you find families that need babysitters and nannies during the summer months. Just give it a quick search on the web and you will for sure find a family to reach out to. It’s fun hanging out with kids all day they usually pay pretty well if it’s an everyday kinda thing.

3. Intern– Advance your career opportunities while you are still in school. If you know someone that has the type of job you want to give them a call and see what opportunities their company has during the summer. Many internships are paid and you can get college credit for them. It looks great on a resume and can help you narrow down what your future career will be before you need to start looking.

4. Camp counselor– Enjoy field trips and outings to the pool? Then consider being a camp counselor over the summer. It’s a fun job that takes place outside a lot and is pretty laid back. You get to have a pretty stress free summer while playing with little kids outside all day. Just make sure you don’t lose one on one of those outings. That’s no good.

5. Gym/Rec center– Want a free gym membership during the summer months? Gym and rec centers are always hiring during the summer for a variety of jobs. You get to wear leggings every day and get to work out during your off time for free.

6. Foodservice– This one can be so much more than your initial instinct. If you live near a lake or river that has boats, consider applying for a server position on the boat. What a fun job spending your days or nights serving on a fancy boat all summer. Food service can be much more than just fast food when you think about it.

7. Ice Cream stand– If you like seeing people from your neighborhood, this is the spot to be. Your local ice cream stand is a fast-paced summer job that will be fun talking with the other students also working there. Plus, you can get as many free scoops as you want.

8. Volunteer– If money isn’t an issue for you, then consider volunteering over the summer. Tons of organizations look for summer help that is unpaid. Find an organization you are interested in and send them an email. This also looks great on a resume and will help you meet lots of new people from all over.

9. Show off your expertise– Are you really good at painting nails? Maybe doing hair? Consider posting online about offering deals for summer events. Many girls want a cheaper alternative to getting pampered at the salon by someone they trust. Post it on your high school page and see how many messages you get.

10. Sell your old things– Don’t want a formal job and want a more flexible summer income? If you have some old things that are in good condition try selling them online. Apps have made online selling super easy. You can make a lot of money from something laying in your closet that you only wore once to a wedding. Toss it online and see what the highest bid is.

There are tons of jobs to be had over the summer months. You just have to be a little creative and think of things that relate to where you live. Now is the time to start thinking about where to apply to. Better to be more prepared than to get out of school and have no money and nothing to do. Have a wonderful summer and save that money for all the fun coming next semester!

Colleen E Kelly

Illinois State '19

Hi I'm Colleen! Senior Communication major at Illinois State University, I love HC because it empowers women to promote women of all kinds. Follow me on social media to keep up with my articles! Insta/Twitter: @ColleenKelly97
Contributor account for Illinois State