Style > Fashion

Coachtopia? Sustainable Fashion, Popup Store Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

While I was strolling through the backroads of Harajuku on my way to lunch, I stumbled upon a glass windowed building with the word “Coachtopia” displayed above the entrance. The immediate thought that crossed my mind was, “Could this be related to the luxury brand Coach?” If you, as the reader of this article, also find yourself in the dark about Coachtopia, don’t worry. Coachtopia is a new sub-brand of Coach that was announced on April 20th of this year. This brand sheds light on circular craft and collaborative creativity. Currently, Coachtopia has six physical stores in Japan, and the one I encountered was a popup store held for a limited time ahead of the official store openings (*The popup store is already closed).

What Exactly Does Coachtopia Focus On?

Before delving into the popup store review, let’s explore the significance of Coachtopia and what “circular craft” means. According to Joon Silverstern, the Head of Coachtopia:

“Circularity is about reimagining not just the product lifecycle, but the relationship between brand, planet and consumer. That’s why we’ve created Coachtopia as both a discovery lab to pioneer circularity in fashion and a collaborative platform for change.”

I’m sure you can easily predict what the circularity of the product lifecycle is. For example, Coachtopia creates bags from recycled materials that are designed for easy disassembly and recycling, showcasing circularity. But what does circularity mean regarding the “relationship between brand, planet, and consumer”? For instance, there is a network called “The Coachtopia beta community” which is made up of gen Z individuals and professionals from diverse backgrounds who contribute ideas at various stages of product development. This changes the exclusive image of high brands to a more inclusive one.

The Coachtopia Popup Store Review

The Coachtopia popup store, in brief, was fancy and artistic. It was a two-story store with high ceilings and large windows that allowed the sunlight to fill the room. Colorful artworks were displayed on the walls and floors alongside the products, creating a very positive atmosphere. Notably, despite the vibrant decor, it also maintained the luxuryness of Coach by having workers strategically positioned everywhere ready to assist customers. I felt a bit nervous when I entered, sensing all eyes on me. According to the lady I spoke to during my visit, the popup store offered products that were scheduled to be announced from November (to be sold on the website and in physical stores). These products featured many dark autumn colors. However, when I later visited the website, I noticed some fancy-looking bags, such as one with cherry imprints all over it, which I loved, but it wasn’t available for sale at that time.

Overall, my visit to the store was visually amazing, even though I didn’t make a purchase. The store featured detailed modern artworks and an engaging display called the “Education Wall,” where I could learn all about Coachtopia. On weekends, they also conducted workshops that used Coach leather. I didn’t have time to participate, but I would love to join next time if they hold another workshop.

Fashion is an industry that has the most negative impact on Earth, so it is great to see brands shifting to a more sustainable approach, even if their primary motivation is to merely follow societal trends. It is usually luxury brands that are leading the way in sustainability. Being sustainable in fashion can be expensive and is not an affordable choice for most people. Can sustainability ever be affordable and embraced by everyone?

Yuno Yamamoto

ICU (Japan) '24

Currently studying at ICU. Enjoys reading, watching films/TV series on NETFLIX, listening to music, and drawing. Also enjoys going to art museums and collecting picture frames.