TEDxICU Elizabeth
TEDxICU Elizabeth
TED
Life > Experiences

TEDxICU Interview ーー Elizabeth Gamarra

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

TEDxICU is a student non-profit organization that aims to provide a TED-like experience for people to express their ideas, be inspired, and find a motivation to step out of their comfort zones. Mr. Murata will appear at the TEDxICU event scheduled to be held on 30th January from 1-5 pm. The event will be held online with YouTube Premiere and Zoom. Please visit TEDxICU’s official website and Instagram for more information!

Thank you so much for sitting down with me today! Before we begin, could you briefly introduce yourself and explain how you came to ICU? 

My name is Elizabeth and I came to ICU a couple of years ago under the Rotary Peace Fellowship, which I am deeply grateful for receiving. ICU hosts the only Rotary Peace Center in this region of the world. This, along with the history of the campus makes Japan a one-of-a-kind experience. I have a background in the field of mental health and peace studies. I am currently pursuing a path in international relations under Dr. Giorgiandrea Shani. I’m originally from Peru but grew up in the U.S, which is home for me. My research covers human security, securitization, and migrants. My multidisciplinary background and nature have further enriched my studies as a MEXT Fellow.  

How did you become involved with the Rotary Peace Fellowship? When did you first learn about it?

I heard about the fellowship later in my life.  I was a finalist for the Youth Humanitarian Award at Youthlinc and during my interview, I noticed that several judges have a rotary connection. I reached out to them about furthering my studies and they completely embraced me. I am grateful to everyone in my Rotary District Club in Utah.  Therefore, a door that closed an opportunity opened another one.

Changing the topic a little, what initially made you decide to speak at the TEDx event?

I think ICU is the perfect platform for TED because it embodies the Ted values to the highest degree. The pandemic became an opportunity to connect with people in more intentional ways. For instance, “how are you” was no longer a greeting, but an intentional question, which I hope we can continue to adapt to post-pandemic life. I have also gotten to hear about people’s struggles and challenges in more genuine ways. I have been exposed to many different lenses of troubled times, including mine, which have enriched my life. Therefore, when the opportunity of TED came, I knew this was the time and place to share my idea with the world.  I was also inspired by how organized it was, it brought together some of the brightest minds of ICU. All the students who formed part of the coaching team and even the PR are great role models and mentors for me. If I could be surrounded by these bright kind minds, then it was an opportunity to also grow at a personal level.

Is there a specific lesson or message that you would like for your audience to take away the most?

The main message is to start viewing pain and troubled times through many shades of lenses for a more balanced perspective of life.  My talk discusses one of the most painful (and private) journeys of my entire life. I underwent a very delicate surgery due to a health condition, which helped me reconceptualize the meaning of connection. My talk at the end provides a framework known as the Chakana for all of us to rethink troubled times for ourselves and others. I like talks that provide a very inspiring message but I also like a talk that provides practical aspects of how I can apply the message to my life. Therefore, my TED speech tries to both. I could not have done this without my amazing TED family in ICU and Salt Lake City.

After you graduate is there a specific career path you have in mind?

I want my research to have a strong theoretical and practical aspect. Therefore, the career paths I will choose will align with translating my research and passion into a larger community or organization. One time, I heard a story of a young woman who told her dreams and passions to a mentor. Then, the mentor replied, “I hope your dreams do not come true.” Then, he said, “I hope you accomplish bigger things that you have not even imagined.” I follow this philosophy as well.

In regards to the COVID-19 pandemic, would you say the pandemic has directly impacted certain aspects of your research or personal life?

Being in Japan and going through the pandemic here is very different from what it is like in the US and South America, and so I feel that I am fortunate to be able to be here at the moment. Therefore, COVID-19 has made me reevaluate my relationships with nature, people, objects, and myself. The pandemic has also brought me into a very virtual world. I’ve been able to talk to people in China and France and participate in conferences in Germany, all from my dorm.

A HUGE thank you to Aoi Akamatsu, Moe Tanaka, and Yuki Imai for supporting Elizabeth throughout her TEDx journey!

Anna Ostrowski

ICU (Japan) '22

Originally from California, Anna is currently pursuing a degree in Psychology at International Christian University in Tokyo. In her free time she enjoys dancing, drawing, and reading.