This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

Yes, a lot of the time we find ourselves snacking because we’re just bored and not hungry. But for those who are actually hungry, how about some mouthwatering snacks for your quarantined day? While everyone is stuck at home, I’ve seen countless people try out surprising new ways of making quick snacks using a microwave! So of course, here are five easy snacks recipes you can make with ingredients you can find in your kitchen.

Oreo Mug Cake 

This is a recipe that I saw in a TikTok video and you only need 3 things!

What you’ll need:

・a mug 

・4 Oreos 

・half a cup of milk 

Place four oreos in the mug. Add milk until half of the mug is full. Mash the cookies and mix until it looks like a cake batter. Place the mug in the microwave for four minutes. This fluffy chocolate cake is as sweet and simple as they come.

Potato Chips 

Who doesn’t love a classic chip? This is the perfect snack for you when you feel like snacking on something savory rather than sweet. 

All you will be needing is:

・1 potato thinly sliced

・olive oil 

・a pinch of salt 

・a bowl 

・a microwave safe plate 

・paper towel 

Begin by thinly slicing the potato and use the paper towel to pat the slices dry. Place the potato slices in the bowl and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Make sure all the slices are evenly covered in oil. On the plate, drizzle and spread on some more olive oil and place the potato slices evenly spaced. Add a pinch of salt on the slices and place into the microwave. Microwave for 6-7 minutes or until crispy looking.

Cookies

You might be wondering how this recipe works, but I want to see you try it for yourself! 

You’ll be needing:

・100g flour 

・40g sugar

・40g vegetable oil 

・vanilla extract (optional) 

・baking sheet

In a bowl mix the flour and sugar first. Add in the vegetable oil and mix until combined. The batter should look like a paste. At this point, add in vanilla extract if you wish to. Lay the baking sheet on a tray and place balls of the batter on it. Make sure to leave some space in between for when the cookies expand. Microwave for 2 minutes at 600w. 

Rusks

Rusks are hard biscuits like cookies that have a classic and simple yet delightful taste and here’s how to make them in your microwave!

You’ll need: 

・a slice of bread 

・20g butter

・10g sugar

・a bowl

・a baking sheet

Cut the slice of bread into 24 square pieces. Melt the butter and add into a bowl with the bread, mixing until the bread pieces are coated in butter. Add 5 grams of sugar and mix. Line them up on the baking sheet and place it in the microwave. Microwave for 1 minute and take them out of the microwave for a check-in. If they need a little more toasting, microwave again for 1 minute. Take the rusks out of the microwave and sprinkle 5g of sugar while they are warm. Let them cool before snacking!

French Toast in a Mug

This is a French toast recipe that I found on prettyprudent that is totally doable even for beginners in the kitchen! If it’s this easy, I could have french toast every morning!

What you need: 

・1-2 slices of bread, cut in cubes 

・1 egg

・1 tablespoon of butter

・3 tablespoons of milk 

・a dash of cinnamon 

・a drop of vanilla extract (optional)

・a mug

Cut the bread into cubes. Melt the butter and use it to coat the inside of your mug. Add the cubed bread to the mug. In a separate bowl, mix together the milk, cinnamon, egg, and vanilla extract. Pour the mixture onto the bread cubes in the mug. Microwave for 1 minute. You can microwave some more depending on how well cooked you want it!

Voila! There you have it. Five easy microwave snacks with ingredients you can find in your home. Staying home is absolutely crucial at this time, but don’t let that stop you from exploring possibilities of what you can make with your everyday appliance; the microwave!

Lisa Ichioka

ICU (Japan) '22

Lisa, the head of the Her Campus chapter at the International Christian University, is currently a sophomore studying business. Being a third-culture kid, she enjoys eating and making foreign cuisines. In her free time she is probably calling her friends overseas, listening to music, watching funny videos, or cleaning her room.