This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

One day, I came across a post about “sennsai-na-hito (繊細な人)” on Instagram. There were questions such as

· Are you easily overwhelmed by such things as bright lights, strong smells, or sirens nearby?

· Do you get rattled when you have a lot to do in a short amount of time?

· Do you avoid violent movies and TV shows?

· Do you need to withdraw during busy days in a place where you can have privacy and relief from the situation?

If you have answered “Yes” to all of these questions, you may be a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP).

HSP has a sensitive nervous system that is deeply affected by physical, emotional, or social stimuli. The first thing you have to keep in mind when learning about HSP is that it is not a mental illness or a disorder but is a personality trait. This term was coined by psychologists Elaine Aron and Arthur Aron in the mid-1990s and has spread tremendously ever since. According to Aron, this trait is found in about 15-20% of the population. In addition, this trait is innate, and it is found in over 100 species such as fish and dogs.

People have said that being “too sensitive” or “too emotional” is a weakness throughout life. Although sensitivity has a negative connotation, it is essential to understand and recognize the strengths that come from sensitivity.

· Are more aware of little things that others miss. HSPs mainly have a brain that processes and reflects the information deeply. Picking up little details and changes of others allows HSPs to respond to the needs of others.

· Are empathetic. HSPs tend to have more active mirror neurons, the part of the brain responsible for empathy. If a friend has been talking about their personal problems, HSPs will understand your struggles and thoroughly think about the person and their situation.

· Are highly creative. Studies have shown that HSP is positively associated with creativity. HSPs have a rich inner world and can feel emotions on a deeper level, resulting in creative self-expression.

Makiko Kawakami

ICU (Japan) '24

Currently studying at International Christian University. She enjoys listening to music and watching Netflix in her free time.