houseplant
houseplant
Original photo by Ellie Eshima
Style > Decor

Fast Furniture– A Hidden Byproduct of our Consumerism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

Like fashion, home decor is a way to express ourselves. We often meticulously choose each furniture piece to adorn our living spaces, tailoring our rooms to match our character. Nearly all of us participate in being a consumer of the furniture industry, yet it is rarely talked about compared to its fashion counterpart. 

“Fast fashion” is a term that most who hold at least some understanding of sustainability are aware of. However, fast furniture is an equally significant but lesser-known environmental issue. Like fast fashion, fleeting trends (such as the wavy windows that received attention on Tiktok) also plague the furniture world. 

Many furniture brands prioritize cost and consumer appeal over durability and quality. Brands like Nitori, Ikea, etc., can be appealing to many of us due to their aesthetics. However, it is the price that is ultimately their selling point. When clothes are imperfect, it’s relatively easy to upcycle or repair them. However, it can feel cheaper and easier to replace them when it comes to broken home decor. As a result, an incredible amount of furniture waste is accumulated. The US Environmental Protection Agency estimates that a whopping 9 million tons of furniture is disposed of each year.

But similar to clothes, there are many sustainable and accessible habits to adopt to help decrease decor waste. 

Shop at second-hand stores, local shops, flea markets, etc.

There are various ways to acquire furniture sustainably that don’t have to be costly. Many pieces from these stores don’t prioritize trendiness or cost, meaning that they are more durable than those from fast furniture brands. 

Practice upkeep

Doing some regular maintenance can also be more cost-effective in the long run, resulting in fewer replacements and furniture longevity. 

Donate

When you want to let go of a furniture piece, donating to nonprofits or second-hand stores is beneficial for the environment. 

Just like being conscious when buying clothes, it is equally essential to know where and how we acquire our furniture. Though the responsibility to stop producing excessive waste weighs heavily on the industry, it’s also in our power to wean our dependence on the fast table.

Hina Matsumoto

ICU (Japan) '25

Hina is a freshman who is unsure about her major at International Christian University in Tokyo, Japan.