Can’t find the perfect Christmas gift? There is one simple solution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

Shopping for Christmas presents can be seriously stressful no matter how well you know the person you’re shopping for. When it comes to picking out gifts I find myself more stumped the better I know the person. You would think that the closer the relationship, the easier it will be to pick out the perfect gift. But in my experience, it’s the exact opposite. 

I’m sure we’ve all experienced the panic that comes with coming home empty-handed after a long day spent hunting for the gift. But really, there is no reason to stress because there is one simple solution to this situation. 

Don’t get them anything. 

The reason you’re having a hard time shopping for this person is that you know them too well. You might have a pretty good idea what sort of things they would like, but ultimately you’re not sure what color, or scent, or genre is most in line with their current interests. There is a lot of pressure that comes with the feeling of having to physically hand someone “something” on Christmas Day. But if you’re having a hard time narrowing their tastes down to an “object”, why not give a gift that the two of you can enjoy together? There are a wide variety of gifts you can give that aren’t necessarily “things”. 

1. Tickets to a museum

Consider gifting tickets to a museum. From art to science to history, Tokyo is home to a wide variety of museums. Ask them if they have any exhibits they find interesting, and spend a day at a museum of their choice. Try visiting the Internet Museum to see what sort of exhibits might be available in your area.

2. Customized perfume

Gifting scent-related items can be tricky. Unless you know exactly what perfume they have their eye on, picking out the perfect scent for someone else can be risky. At Le Labo in Shibuya, it’s possible to create and customize your scent. Instead of gifting your person a perfume of your choice, why not go along with them so that they can create a perfume to their liking?

3. Take them to dinner

It’s not every day that you can go out for a fancy meal. If you’re seriously stumped on what the perfect Christmas present maybe, why not consider taking them out for a fancy dinner? Not only is it something that you don’t do so often, but it would be memorable as an outing that you enjoy together. Ask them about their food preferences and have some fun finding a restaurant that normally wouldn’t be included on your list of places to eat out at. 

Anna Ostrowski

ICU (Japan) '22

Originally from California, Anna is currently pursuing a degree in Psychology at International Christian University in Tokyo. In her free time she enjoys dancing, drawing, and reading.