Meredith Kress-Summer Girl Legs Swimming Pool
Meredith Kress / Her Campus
Style > Beauty

Are Sunscreens getting better?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

1. The problem with sunscreens today

The purpose of sunscreen is to protect one’s skin from sunburns, skin damage, and the prevention of skin cancer due to exposure to excessive UV rays from the sun. The active ingredients in sunscreen help prevent the sun’s UV radiation from reaching the skin. However, the problem residing with sunscreen and us is that there are holes in our sun protection methods. Most importantly, sunscreen application and scientific technology behind our UV ray protectors are in need of further development.

Do we suck at applying Sunscreen?

In a Kao survey of women sunscreen users conducted in 2016, more than 90 percent of the survey respondents replied that they had experienced sunburn symptoms even when wearing sunscreen (Kao, 2018). The underlying problem is that the sunscreen is applied too little or the sunscreen is not distributing evenly to guard the skin from UV rays. Kao’s researchers used a UV microscope in which they observed conventional water-based sunscreens (Kao products) sometimes disperse unevenly over the skin. Due to this uneven dispersion, micron-scale crevices may visibly appear when the sunscreen is spread on the skin (Kao, 2018). Ultimately, sunscreen users experienced sunburns due to the lack of even application alongside the uneven dispersion of sunscreen ingredients.

2. Solving the problem with sunscreens

To solve this problem, Kao has recently released a new Biore UV Aqua Rich sunscreen range that uses a unique Micro Defense formula that ensures full coverage down to the micro-level crevices invisible to the naked eye (RikeLab, 2019). The issue with water-based sunscreens was that these products had failed to volatilize with the oil phase which includes the crucial UV protection ingredients (RikeLab, 2019). So, the water-based ingredients and oil-based ingredients did not mix completely into one. This Micro Defense formula is made up of a submicron-scale capsule packed with an oil-soluble UV protection agent composed of an amphiphilic ingredient with an affinity for both water and oil (Kao, 2018). This new formula allows the UV protection agents to disperse evenly on a micro-level, creating a new meaning towards “sunscreen”.

3. Further development in the future

So, now that we can expect cosmetic companies to develop formulas that allow for even dispersion and distribution at a micro-level, there are still challenges. Like Kao, Shiseido also faced the problem of sun-protecting agents failing to be evenly dispersed and therefore struggled to equally spread out on a micro-level. However, Shiseido has released information regarding a new sunscreen product that is heat-activated to help evenly disperse and distribute sun-protecting agents in their new sunscreen. The new technology increases the effect of UV protection by spreading the UV protection ingredient evenly in a film coating when the applied sunscreen is warmed by heat such as from the sun (Shiseido, 2019). By incorporating thermal energy as a triggering agent to improve the effectiveness of UV protection ingredients at a micro-level, this new technology allows the sunscreen to be evenly dispersed and have uniformity in sun-protecting effectiveness.

So, maybe we won’t have to worry about sun damage if cosmetics companies such as Kao and Shiseido have our backs!

References

Kao Corporation. “Kao Launches Improved Version of Bioré UV Aqua Rich”. 2018.

https://www.kao.com/global/en/news/products/2018/20181219-001/

RikeLab. “日焼け止め開発の匠に聞いた、世界初の新技術!ミクロレベルの隙間を埋める、花王『ビオレUV』 ーあの製品はこうして生まれた!研究開発エピソード”. 2019.

Shiseido. “Shiseido Develops World’s First Technology that Increases UV Protection Effect with Heat”.2019.

https://corp.shiseido.com/en/news/detail.html?n=00000000002772

Amanna Coy

ICU (Japan) '22

I am currently a MCC & Business double major in ICU Japan. I am fluent in both Japanese and English, and I have a strong love for language, literature, films, self-care and beauty. I am particularly interested in cosmetics and skincare, and hope to be a part of the industry in the future. I joined HCICU to be able to enjoy the things I love and have a platform to share my thoughts and experiences with.