This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

It may be quite hard to stay focused during summer break, with the heat, the festive atmosphere, and just the urge to stay on Netflix all day. Here are a few places I have been to that I recommend to all of you that want to get an iced coffee, grab a comfy seat, and get productive!

Morisuke (横森珈琲)

A calm and cozy cafe about 8 minutes from Mitaka station. It has a very wide selection of coffee and serves great meals and cakes as well. They serve their coffee with a little plate of mixed nuts, so you could get a cup of coffee without starving while you work.

P.S. coffee

Located within 5 minutes from Gakugeidai station is a modern yet cozy coffee. Their lattes are just okay, but their cheesecakes are amazing. I visited P.S. coffee right at 11 am when they open, so they had no other customers, and their entrance is all open which is great because I could work without being worried about the virus. The coffee bar looked great, so make sure to take some pictures. They also have free wifi and lots of outlets.

二足歩行 coffee roasters

You can find this cafe on the second floor of a building 4 minutes from Sangenjaya station. There is a gorgeous bakery downstairs so that you could grab a baked good on your way home. This cafe is super spacious, with sofa seats for four, two, and single customers. They serve meals, cookies, scones and have a wide selection of regular coffee and also lattes. Although located in the middle of a crowded street, its interior made the space very relaxing. They might ask customers to leave in 1-2 hours when crowded, so make sure to visit on weekdays if you want to get some work done.

blue bottle coffee Naka-Meguro

You can find the ever-famous cafe chain within a 10-minute walk from Nakameguro station. My favorite part of this blue bottle is the underground floor. Unlike most underground floors, the space is completely open, so you don’t feel closed up, yet you find it feels so much cozier than the seat upstairs. There were many people working on their laptops, so you will feel comfortable working in this cafe. In addition to their amazing coffee, they have some baked goods as well.

gg co. cafe and bakery

You will find a modern, spacious cafe right by an office building around Tokyo station. They have free wifi, outside seats, and outlets by the round table inside. I like to sit outside and watch busy company workers walk around to motivate myself to get things done. They have various sandwiches and baked goods, but they are often sold out in the late afternoon, so if you want to have something to eat, try to visit by noon! I love their bitter and deep espresso, so I always get their latte. The best part about GG Co. is that your second cup of coffee or cafe latte only costs 200 yen.

I hope some of my recommendations made it to your to-go list! Make sure to wear a mask at all times, even when in the cafe–wash your hands and keep your social distance. Stay safe, and stay productive!

Utako Kawakami

ICU (Japan) '24

Hi, I'm Utako and I am a sophomore at International Christian University!