Canon Iced Latte Sightglasscoffee
Canon Iced Latte Sightglasscoffee
Amy Cho / Spoon

5 New Hobbies For 2023

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

New year, new me. I say to myself every year, but usually end up doing nothing new. To make this year more memorable and fulfilling, I will share 5 hobbies that you can implement into your life!

1. Crochet

If you are looking for an artsy hobby, this might be for you! Crocheting is easier than knitting and there are numerous tutorials on YouTube.

I’m a clumsy person, but so far, I’ve been able to crochet cardigans and little lovely gifts for friends and family members.

Definitely worth a try! You can get all the equipments you need in dollar shops, too!

2.Reading (translated fictions)

Reading may not sound like a unique hobby, but this year, try reading translated fictions.

It may open up a new world for you!

One recommendation I have for you is, “The Dangers Of Smoking In Bed” by Mariana Enríquez, an Argentinian author. This book is a collection of short unsettling stories that will make shivers run down your spine. I suggest you to not read it after 7:00 pm!

3. Photography

Get out that old camera you or your family and friends stopped using!

Put your phone away and take pictures with your cameras! Not only does it reduce screen time, it helps you stay present while you are out with your friends and families.

Some cameras do have complex settings, but once you get the hang of it, you will understand why people are obsessed with cameras.

These intricate settings are what makes taking photos on cameras pleasurable.

4. Pilates

If you are looking for an active hobby, this one is for you!

For those who has never heard of pilates, it is a type of workout you can do at home or at the gym with special equipments.

I’ve started seeing pilates on every social media platform and thought it would be nice to give it a try!

There is beginner friendly pilate videos on YouTube. Check them out!

5. Take classes (Internet or in-person)

Take that class you always wanted to take!

You wanted to sing? You still can. You are too scared to take dance classes because you’ve never danced before? Go! It’s never too late.

Most skills or hobbies you want to try are available almost everywhere.

Although it’s nerve wrecking to try something new by yourself, it is certainly going to be worth it! Even if you embarrass yourself, it will be a funny story to look back at in several months.

Ayana Hatanaka

ICU (Japan) '26

Hi! I'm Ayana, currently studying in ICU! I love music and going to concerts!