This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

Hey, guys! I assume that some of you remember that we published horror movie recommendations last month. The thing is, I cannot watch horror movies. I am so bad with these movies that I can’t even bring myself to watch a single trailer. However, I have recently discovered that you can enjoy the world of horror through books, just as well! So, I recommend three horror books to my fellow scaredies that will give you the whole experience! 

The Dark Half by Stephen King

Although one of King’s, the author of the infamous horror novel IT, rather unknown pieces, still a crazy ride, traumatizing and full of surprises. It is not just the skillful and dreadful killings by the protagonist’s pseudonym, George Stark, that spooks you, but the psychological control he holds over his other half, and all the sparrows!

Stephen King has a way with his words and structure that the scenes come to life in your mind and stay there to haunt you even long after you have finished the book. Sparrows held a significant role in the story, and the scene of the emergence of countless sparrows in the sky on the day of George Stark’s end still lives so vividly in my mind. I still get creeps when I see a single sparrow on the street. 

A page-turner, and will definitely keep you up at night! 

Watchers by Dean Koontz

This book is absolutely gripping. I missed my stop on the train while reading it, and I have never done that before. This story is not just horror; it has much more than that: romance, comedy, sci-fi, mystery, and action. The best part of this story is Einstein, a golden retriever designed by labs as a government experiment with extremely high intelligence. He is so lovely, just absolutely irresistible. While the horror aspect of the story is striking, this novel also asks us important questions of ethics in modern science and technology. 

This is just as heartwarming as it is terrifying, and you will love every page of it.

The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris

The Silence of the Lambs is a classic when it comes to psychological thrillers. It is the story of the young FBI trainee Clarice and the infamous cannibalistic serial killer Dr. Hannibal Lecter. He helps Clarice hunt down a running serial killer, and as he shows amusement in the commitment and competence in the female trainee, he both mentors and torments her. Lecter, while he is a deadly serial killer, is also a very charismatic psychiatrist. He has us secretly rooting for him, amazed by the wonders of his mind, which is just a part of how magical this story is. He travels into Clarice’s deepest and most painful memories in return for crucial hints to hunt down the killer on the run. I was (literally) shivering while reading this: Hannibal Lecter is just so inexplicably brilliant and terrifying, and once Harris grabs you into this book, he will not let you go. 

From a single point of the book, you will start hearing the lambs screaming, and you have to get to the end to see whether they stop. 

Utako Kawakami

ICU (Japan) '24

Hi, I'm Utako and I am a sophomore at International Christian University!
Articles anonymously written by HCICU Contributors.