Life > Experiences

3 ADVICES I WISH I HAD RECEIVED FOR THE STUDY ABROAD APPLICATION

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ICU (Japan) chapter.

When it comes to applying for the study abroad program, being proactive is key. It is important that you utilize all the events and resources that your university provides to get the fullest help and information you need. At ICU, I was given the opportunity to talk and seek advice from students and faculties through the study abroad fair, report session, and weekly advising periods. In this article, I would like to offer some insights and advices from my personal experience that I wish I had received before and while applying for the study abroad program. 

1. Take no more than 2 attempts

One question many students may be wondering about is how many times it took me to achieve my highest Teofl score. During the summer break, I took four TOEFL tests, expecting that I would improve my score each time. Surprisingly, though, the highest score I received was on my second attempt. While individual experiences may differ, I realized that standardized testing is essentially made to assess your current proficiency. In fact, scholars saw notable changes in students’ scores after a study period of approximately 6 to 9 months, according to the ETS Research Report (2014). Thus, if you are planning to prepare for the Toefl within two months, like myself, I advise you to take no more than 2 attempts since scores will unlikely to change within a short period of time. Based on my experience, I managed to raise my score by just 2 points. If you did not receive your desired Toefl score on your second try and your host university accepts IELTS, I would recommend studying for the IELTS right away. Having studied for the Toefl, I found that the IELTS was comparatively less-challenging, and I was able to achieve my desired score on my first attempt. As mentioned before, everyone is different. However, if you find yourself struggling on the Toefl, trying the IELTS is a viable solution. You may also be able to save your time, money and energy!

2. Get the right Information

When collecting information for universities, it is important that you collect the right information, such as classes, professors, and internship programs. While ICU provides students opportunities to talk with students who have had hands-on experiences, it is always a good idea to confirm and ask questions directly to the host university. Not only is it important that you know what you are expected, but also what you write in your essay could reflect how much you have researched and are interested in studying at their university. For example, you could ask questions about whether the courses you are interested in are offered to exchange students or whether certain professors will be on leave by the time you start your study abroad program. Moreover, receiving more information about their programs could further help you to elevate your essay and show your determination. Therefore, I would advise you to not only spend your summer break taking the Toefl or IELTs test but also research and get ready to email the host university your questions and interests!

3. Get closer with your professors

If I could restart my study abroad application, one extra step I would take is to seek advice from not only my advisor but also my professors. During the application season, my advisor provided me valuable suggestions on my essay. Reflecting back, I wish I had also received advice from my professors in my major as they will certainly have other suggestions that my advisors may have not been able to provide me. Prior to that, I would strongly recommend to get friendly with your professors by actively participating during class, visiting their office hours to talk about your next assignment, or any way so that your professor could know more about you! This is really important because the more they know about you, the better they could help you with not only your application essay but also your recommendation letters or consultations on your concerns about the study abroad program. If you have no idea where to start with your application essay, I would suggest you to start on it early, get enough advice from your advisor, and then consult with your professor to finalize your essay.

Here are just a few of the things I wish I knew or done while preparing for my study abroad application. Just a note, this is my personal experience so this may be different for others, but I just wanted to share some tips that may help you for your future study abroad applications! Good Luck!

Rena Lee

ICU (Japan) '25

Hi, my name is Rena! I'm from Seoul, South Korea, and I was born and raised in Virginia until the age of 9. I love learning new languages and culture, which is part of the reason why I moved to Japan for college.