Books On A Shelf
Books On A Shelf
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

Women in History: Mary Shelley, Author of Frankenstein

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

Everybody knows this ultra-famous monster from its countless variations and endless media appearances over the years.  But how much do you know about Frankenstein’s creator, Mary Shelley?  (Technically, Frankenstein is the scientist, not the monster, but you know what I’m talking about).

Mary Wollstonecraft Godwin was born on August 30, 1797 in Somers Town, London to Mary Wollstonecraft, renowned early feminist, and William Godwin.  Though her mother died shortly after young Mary was born, she learned about her and her opinions through her writings.  The Godwins weren’t wealthy during Mary’s childhood, and though she barely received a formal education, she was taught a variety of subjects by a tutor and her father (a philosopher, novelist, and journalist).  Her father sent her to live with a family in Scotland for a few months and she loved it so much she returned again.  It was here, Mary admitted, that she really began writing.

She met Percy Shelley around 1814, then the two began meeting secretly at Mary’s mother’s grave. They then declared their love for each other, despite Percy already having a wife (albeit an estranged one) and their youth (Mary was 16, Percy was 22).  Mary’s father disapproved of their relationship so the two eloped in July of 1814 and departed for France, leaving Percy’s pregnant wife behind.  They travelled around France for a while then had to go back to England due to low funds; at that time, Mary had become pregnant and her father refused to help her out.  So she and Percy moved in with her step-sister, Claire (who almost certainly had an affair with Percy), and Mary wasn’t keen on this even though she believed in free love.

Mary went into a depression after she lost her prematurely-born daughter, but recovered when she was able to conceive again later that year.  Percy’s grandfather died in 1815 which revitalized Percy’s finances.  He and Mary moved to a cottage near Windsor Great Park where Mary had their second child in 1816.  In May of that year, Mary, Percy, Claire, and Lord Byron vacationed at Lake Geneva in Switzerland.  It rained for most of the summer, prompting Lord Byron to suggest to the group of writers to come up with a ghost story.  Mary spent days being harassed by Byron with no ideas for a story until she thought of the premise for Frankenstein.  She published it anonymously in 1818 and the public speculated the author to be Percy Shelley, as he had written the preface.

Mary Shelley led an incredibly interesting rest of her life afterFrankenstein; she published novels, was involved with editorial work, wrote for magazines, and made sure to help women rejected by society in accordance with her mother’s values instilled in her.  She finally died at the age of 53 in 1851 possibly due to a brain tumor.

Source: Wikipedia

Maddy Conroy is a senior at Hobart and William Smith Colleges and is an English major and Writing and Rhetoric minor. She has always enjoyed reading, writing, and photography (perhaps a bit too much). She is Co-President of HWS's Her Campus chapter as well as President of the One-on-One Friendship Club on campus.