William Smith Defines #LikeAGirl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

If you watched the Super Bowl this year, you probably remember the Budweiser “Lost Dog” commercial, which garnered top popularity honors for the second year in a row. Chances are, you also remember the Always, “Like a Girl” commercial, which came in right behind Budweiser, according to USA Today. If not, surely you saw the flood of #LikeAGirl posts on social media in the days that followed. 

In an era that glorifies masculinity in athleticism, the commerical allies females with strength as well. It tries to show how young girls have not yet been tainted by the mindset that men can outperform them. The commercial received praise from women everywhere, including female students on our very own campus, who already seem to embody what it means to be “Like a Girl.”

Last year, the William Smith Cross Country Team dedicated themselves to a program called, “Run Like A Girl.” The program targets middle school girls and works to raise their confidence levels. Through a series of body image workshops and running clinics, the aim is to dress these young girls with an “I can do this,” attitude. A sophomore on the team, Katie Pinkes said, “Middle school is a crucial time in girls lives, a time when eating disorders and body image is a big deal. By teaching them about proper nutrition and body image, it builds a culture of loving yourself.” The program is scheduled to start up again this month!

Not just in the realm of cross country, but the whole athletic department recently hosted a day solely to celebrate female contributions in athletics. The day consisted of a leadership clinic, a soccer clinic, lunch, and a heron basketball game, all attended by young girls in the community. Assistant lacrosse coach Morgan Achilles told HWS Athletics, “Herons are strong, competitive, disciplined teammates and leaders that serve as wonderful role models for local girls and young women.” Through hosting these special days, it is the hope that the aforementioned qualities will be projected onto other women in the community as well.  

Memeber of the Heron’s Field Hockey Team and the Heron leadership core, Biz Chirco commented on the day as well. “National Women in athletics day is a great avenue for younger girls to realize that sports are not male dominated organizations and that women can excel athletically. I think too many young girls confine themselves by thinking sports aren’t for girls when in fact, they are an amazing way to build leadership skills that can help them throughout their entire lives. There is nothing more valuable than for young girls to see and celebrate the women that have come before them, those who put their whole hearts into forging the path for women in athletics.” Delaney Teceno, also on the leadership core and a member of the William Smith Squash Team, added, “As an athlete, my team and love for squash is what has influenced me most as a student at William Smith. To be able to introduce girls in the community to what might possibly be their greatest influence has made my time at HWS that much more meaningful.”  

Director of the commercial, Lauren Greenfield says, “’Like a Girl’ should never be used as an insult. It means to be strong, talented, and downright amazing.” That message is exactly what William Smith women are trying to promote.  

Watch the “Like A Girl” commercial that inspired so many!

Phoebe Moore is a junior at HWS and majoring in Political Science with a minor in American Studies. She also runs cross country for the Herons.