Parent Trap Lindsay Lohan
Parent Trap Lindsay Lohan
Walt Disney Pictures

What’s the Deal with Slime?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

Slime has become the newest trend among younger individuals and the industry has really boomed. Now there are so many types of slime it is hard to keep up. Plus, even though the industry caters to younger crowds, the videos are still extremely satisfying for everyone. Here is a breakdown of the top ten most common slimes.

Basic Slime

This is the most basic slime that you can make or buy. It is typically made with white Elmer’s glue and borax with no add-ins. However, people often get very creative with colors. Often basic slime can contain metallic pigments, magnet properties, or as pictured below, the ability to change color. Plus, it makes a great bubble-popping sound.  

Clear Slime

Clear slime is similar to basic slime except it is made with clear glue. Surprisingly, this makes the slime much more difficult to create, but the results are amazing. The slime can be colored but its key feature is that it is always transparent. (Quick tip: Clear slime will cloud up when you play with it, but if you let it sit for a day it should go back to being clear).

Glitter Slime

Glitter slime is obviously made using glitter, and lots of it. Usually, this slime is a little stiffer because it has so much glitter, but that makes it super holdable (a term used by the slime community when it is a more solid texture and putty-like). This is perfect for anyone who likes beautiful visuals as well as the normal slime texture and feeling.

Glossy Slime

Glossy Slime is often made with PVA glue instead of normal Elmer’s glue. The PVA glue gives it a rubbery texture and makes it very shiny. Plus, it’s typically the perfect slime for anyone who likes ASMR because it has lots of loud bubble pops and crunches.

Butter Slime

Butter slime is made using clay, often Crayola Model Magic or Daiso Clay. This gives it a much smoother, buttery texture. Often people like stretching and spreading this slime with their fingers or butter knives. It has a very satisfying texture but does not make very much noise, so it might not be for you if you are an auditory slime fan.

Cloud Slime

Cloud slime is often made from instant snow or other absorbent materials (I have even seen one made from the insides of a diaper!). It is really drizzly and often gives an awesome texture. This is probably one of the most popular slimes made on the internet and can also be mixed with butter slime to create a cloud-butter combo.

Fluffy Slime

Fluffy slime is a really common DIY slime since it uses household ingredients. One of the main ingredients in fluffy slime is shaving cream, which gives it a really lightweight and feathery texture.

Jelly Cube Slime

Jelly cube slime is especially unique, because it has large objects within it that the slime community refers to as “jelly cubes.” These are typically made from super absorbent sponges or often cut-up Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. They provide an extra texture since they soak up slime within them and then can be squeezed for even more auditory and visual satisfaction.

Fishbowl Slime

Fishbowl slime is made with a particular type of plastic bead often used to fill vases. These are often used in fishbowls, hence the name of the slime. It has an extra unique texture and design, plus it produces a harder crunch sound and a more holdable texture.

Slushie Slime

Slushie slimes are also made with a bead insert, this time typically made with slushie beads. These are small, cylindrical, translucent beads that makes the slime look, quite frankly, like a slushie. This has a really fun texture as well, but since the beads are smaller than fishbowl slime, it is typically easier to play with and less holdable.

Julia is a biochemistry major on the pre-med track. She aspires to be an OB/GYN and is focused on writing blogs about women's health. When not writing, Julia is also a member of Koshare Dance Collective.