Tips and Tricks to Find the Right Place To Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

Are you thinking of studying abroad next semester? Or two semesters from now? Studying abroad is a big decision, and it’s important to start planning ahead. Studying far away from home can seem daunting, and finding a place that is perfect for you can seem extremely stressful. On top of all your classwork and extra-circulars, you have to write abroad essays, but what if you don’t even know where you want to go?! Here are some points to consider when deciding where to live for the next four to five months.

Do you want to live with a family in a homestay, or an apartment on your own or with roommates? Each option will give you a different and unique perspective of the country’s culture. Either way, you are completely immersed.

Do you want an urban experience where you can travel throughout a major city? Do you want access to other cities? Going somewhere in Europe will definitely give you leeway, as you can travel to and from several major cities in multiple countries. On the other hand, would you rather go to an outdoorsy trip that is more in tune with nature? Trips to South America, Australia, and New Zealand have opportunities to explore beautiful natural landscapes.

Do you want to be on your own or with the same group of students? The more outdoorsy trips tend to be led by a single professor and the entire group travels together. On the other hand, would you rather have a more individualized trip where you can be on your own, without a faculty-led program? In this case, you have the option to meet up with your study abroad group but are not necessarily constantly traveling or doing activities with them.

Are you interested in studying a language? If so, choose a country that matches your desired language so you can really strengthen your fluency. If not, don’t worry about language barriers if you want to go to a non-English speaking country. Some countries offer classes primarily in English, but for others you might have to take an initial course to learn the native language. Although it might seem scary to go to a place without knowing the language at all, it can be exciting to learn a new language and discover a new culture. Overtime, you will adjust to the language, and you have your English-speaking friends on the trip with you to help you out. And don’t forget, there are going to be other US students studying abroad from other schools, who are in the exact same boat as you.

No matter where you end up, studying abroad and living in another country is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and you can ask any of the HWS students who have already studied abroad; it is bound to be an amazing experience filled with unforgettable memories and stories.

The deadline for submitting your applications to the CGE is March 4th at noon, so get writing! 

Julia Sipos is a senior at Hobart and William Smith Colleges (HWS) double majoring in International Relations and Spanish & Hispanic Studies with a minor in the Writing Colleague Program. While Julia is a contributor to Her Campus at the Colleges, she is also a Writing Fellow and the president and founder of the HWS Figure Skating Club, which hosts seven events throughout the semester open to any students on campus who want to learn how to skate!