yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Fall Dorm Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

As the weather in Geneva gets colder, it’s time to break out pumpkin spice everything and embrace your fall obsessions.  Personally, I couldn’t be happier and will be wearing sweaters everywhere for the next three months.  Here are some ideas on how to transform your dorm to fit the season.

1. It’s officially October, so Halloween is everywhere and it’s time to get into the spirit.  Thanks to Pinterest, Buzzfeed, Her Campus, and an infinite amount of blog posts, there’s an insane amount of Halloween dorm inspiration out there.  Gel window clings are a super cheap and a cute, easy option.
  2. Although we might be too old for trick-or-treating, this shouldn’t stop you from eating an obscene amount of candy this month!  Studying for midterms? Reward yourself with a Sour Patch Kid for each paragraph of your textbook read. Fading fast halfway through the day and you still one more class left?  Energize yourself with some Hershey’s kisses.  It’s impossible to grow out of a love of all things sweet.  As the wise man and icon of our generation, Aaron Carter, once said “I want candy.”

3. Fall scents are some of my favorite parts of the season: pumpkin, apple, cinnamon. Although scented candles, the pinnacle of basic girl autumn decorating, are not allowed in dorms, a lot of different types of other air fresheners are. The most effective is probably Bath and Body Works Wallflower Fragrance Plugs that can be plugged into the outlets (with seasonal scents like Leaves, Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin, and Autumn). Febreze also sells a Fresh Fall Pumpkin air freshener spray, if you don’t necessarily want the scent diffused around your whole room. 
  4. Fall Drinks! Right now, I have tea stockpiled in my room and, honestly, you should too.  Apple cinnamon tea is classically autumnal and the great thing about herbal, decaf tea is that you can drink it late at night studying as a pick-me-up but still be able to crash right after you’re finished with your work.  If you’re an avid coffee drinker, and you have a Keurig in your dorm (jealous!), Starbucks partnered with Keurig to make a Fall Blend K-Cup. Although no Keurig, no problem: all you need is a fridge to keep apple cider in your room. Don’t forget to stop at the campus store to buy a reusable travel mug to take your drinks to class with you! 
  5. Comfortable clothing. L.L. Bean boots or Uggs?  Fuzzy sweaters or oversized flannels?  Leggings or joggers?  With so many options, you’re bound to find something that fits style and keeps you cozy with the cold fall weather.  It’s also cuffing season, but if you’re single or in a long-distance relationship, make sure you at least have a warm blanket on hand. 
  6. Lastly, make sure you have a thicker coat and snow boots ready because winter is right around the corner!
Mary is a senior at HWS and the Senior Editor of the HWS Her Campus chapter. An English major and Writing Colleagues minor, she plans to work in the publishing industry after college. On campus, Mary works as a student writer at the Office of Communications and is a member of the One-on-One Friendship Club. In her free time, Mary likes reading, writing, and running.