Campus Celebrity: Micaela Carney ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

This positive First-Year is excited bring together the Class of 2018 and initiate change in a leadership role. Meet Micaela Carney!

Name: Micaela Carney

Class Year: 2018

Major: Math

Minors: Cognition, Logic, and Language & Spanish

Hometown: Pittsburgh, NY

HC: Why did you choose HWS?

MC: I actually toured in the pouring rain and I fell in love with campus and I was just awestruck by everything I saw. Also, everyone was just so welcoming and friendly. I really liked the small campus feel and small classroom environment where you’re treated as a person instead of a number.

HC: What are you involved in on campus?

MC: On campus, I’m in HWS Chorale, so I sing and it’s really fun. I also work for William Smith Congress as the William Smith Class President and I was on the Relay for Life Planning Committee, so I helped plan the Relay for Life event, which was really exciting. I’ve never really done behind-the-scenes work before so it was cool to see how the event is put together.

HC: Why did you decide to run for Class President?

MC: I’ve always been one for class spirit and I thought that running for Class President would be a great opportunity to bring our class together as Hobart and William Smith Colleges and also William Smith College, separately. I really want to be able to make a change and have everyone be really excited about the William Smith Class of 2018.

HC: How do you balance everything?

MC: Yeah, it’s hard; I really need to write things down so I write a lot of schedules. All of my friends laugh at me because it’s basically by the minute, where I’ll give myself time to walk to class, and shower, and stuff like that. I just need a structured schedule to show myself that I can get everything done. I definitely have time to breathe but it’s all about planning ahead.

HC: Who is your role model? Why?

MC: This is probably kind of cheesy but my parents are probably my two biggest role models just because they instilled really important values for me and I think I look up to them a lot just because I think they’re great people. I respect them as parents and individuals and I think they’ve done a great job with giving me independence as well as helping me find myself.

HC: What is one interesting thing that most people don’t know about you?

MC: I’m actually a black belt in karate! No one would know and then when I tell them, they don’t believe me so I have to show them my moves.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?

MC: Hopefully, teaching…maybe teaching abroad. I would love to teach in a foreign country and maybe teach English to learners or teach math in a foreign country. If I’m not teaching then I think I would probably be traveling the world, or getting my Masters!

HC: Do you have a motto that you live by?

MC: Everything happens for a reason. When things go bad I just think if it’s meant to be, then it’ll happen.

“Favorites”:

Place on Campus: 2nd floor of Scandling Center

Thing about HWS: That people hold open doors for you.

Class at HWS: Education

Accessory: I’ve always been one for bows in my hair. I just whipped one out for the first time yesterday and I got a lot of compliments, so I think I’m going to bring it back!

Movie: Good Will Hunting

TV show: Grey’s Anatomy

Celebrity Crush: The only thing I can think of right now is a girl crush, which is Fat Amy from Pitch Perfect. I love her I think she’s so great! All I can think of is Ashton Kutcher and he’s not even my man crush… Oh no…wait… it’s McDreamy! Patrick Dempsey, obviously!