Campus Celebrity: Brett Friedberg ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

Meet one of Hobart and William Smith’s Campus Celebrities, Brett Friedberg ’18! While striving to create his own firm in the near future, see what Brett is currently doing here on campus to achieve his dream. 

Name: Brett Friedberg

Year: Sophomore

Major: Environmental Studies

Hometown: Port Washington, New York

HC: Why did you choose HWS?

BF: I chose HWS because of the network that it has. Coming from a small liberal arts school opens up many connections for the future which I look forward to.

HC: What are you involved with?

BF: I am the President of the Investment Club, I also play Club Lacrosse and am on the Club Ski Team.

HC: Why did you choose to lead the Investment Club?

BF: It’s what I want to peruse after studying at HWS so gaining more knowledge will only be beneficial. I’ve been doing investing since I was a freshman in high school and have always been fascinated by the topic. This concept is what has driven me to Economic and Environmental studies courses.

HC: How has joining this club made an influential impact towards you future?

BF: It has determined where I see myself in the job market once I graduate and has helped me to find my path. Everyday I read the Wall Street Journal and constantly keep up on big new events. Being so involved in the club almost has me living a double life. I am trying to accomplish the same goals that those working on Wall Street have while also balancing my social and academic life while a college student.

HC: What are your goals for the club before graduating?

BF: My number one goal is to keep the Bloomberg Machine on campus. It was donated as a gift forms an alumni’s father who was the VP at Bloomberg who gifted HWS with a lease for 10 years. Unfortunately, the lease is over so I am trying to fund the machine for a few more years. Therefore it is imperative to find alumni and other staff in the school community to support the terminal since it has a high connection with economics and finances.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

BF: Hopefully working for a small cap fund so that I can get the experience needed to get my own network and run a firm.

HC: Favorite spot on campus?

BF: My room

HC: Favorite restaurant downtown?

BF: Halsey’s

HC: Favorite sporting event to attend?

BF: Men’s Hockey

Ali Burns is a Sophomore at Hobart and William Smith Colleges (HWS) and is a member of the William Smith Lacrosse team. Along with writing for Her Campus she is involved with working at school sporting events, as well as volunteering with Geneva Neighborhood society, Thrive to Survive and local schools. She lives in Hingham, Massachusetts and loves going to the beach. Her aspiration in life is to become a Sports Broadcaster!