9 Foods To Keep You Away From Saga

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

We all know that the snow has been relentless the past few weeks and even though it looks beautiful from the comfort of your cozy room, sometimes the treck across campus (aka Siberia) to Saga just isnt worth it. We still need to eat, so this is when takeout becomes very appealing. However, as pizza, Chinese food, or more pizza tend to be the primary options for takeout, it can get repetitive, unhealthy, and expensive. So here’s a lesson you’ll want to learn: how to stock your dorm room with healthy and delicious food. 

1. Avocados

Avocados have become a craze over the past few years for being a simple, healthy, and tasty food. They’ve also captured a lot of attention due to the rise of ‘foodie’ Instagram accounts, which often feature avocados for their distinct, soft green ombré color. Avocados can be eaten at breakfast, lunch or dinner, and are compatible with either sweet or savory foods. If for some odd reason you have salt and limes lying around from a Saturday night, these simple condiments can give an avacado a great twist.  

2. Almond Butter

Let’s all take a moment of silence to appreciate Justin’s Honey Roasted almond butter. Eat it on a banana, crackers, toast, or by the spoonful. It’s sweeter than peanut butter but has a salty aftertaste, plus all the nutritional and skin health benefits of almonds! Also, you don’t have to fear that weird trick peanut butter plays on you by sticking your mouth shut. 

3. Trail Mix

This is a great snack to have around because it fills you up, gives you energy, and can easily be taken on the go! Grocery stores carry a pretty wide variety of trail mix, however, making it yourself can be beneficial because you can choose your favorite ingredients and control the proportions. Go ahead and add 3 bags of M&M’s and save yourself from picking through all the raisins. A favorite mix is a combination of roasted almonds, roasted pecans, mini peanut butter cups, dark chocolate covered espresso beans, dark chocolate covered almonds, dried raspberries, and coconut flakes!

4. Fresh Fruit

Bananas, oranges and apples are nice. But no one wants to be described as nice. When those are the only three fruits Saga typically serves, having some fresh fruit in your room is a refreshing change. Raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries are all great to have in your fridge, not only for their taste but they can also be added to cereals or yogurts to elevate your breakfast game.

5. Granola Bars

These are another great option for a fast snack that can also satisfy your hunger for at least a class. This section can get a little overwhelming in the grocery store, as there’s a wide variety of brands and flavors. KIND bars, especially the caramel almond sea salt, are very popular. However, with their high quality of ingredients and dedication to customer satisfaction, you really can’t go wrong with any flavor. Fig Bars are another great option, and are basically a respectable Fig Newton.

6. Yogurt

Yogurts are a staple of most college student fridges because they are small but filling and satisfying. Similar to granola bars, there is an overwhelming amount of options, so it’s important to choose wisely. Siggi’s is incredibly good, and actually tastes natural. Coconut is potentially the best flavor, and with 13 grams of protein, 7 ingredients and a creamy, rich flavor it would be cruel to say no. For those who prefer Greek yogurt, Fage plain greek yogurt is the best option, with 18 grams of protein and only 7 grams of sugar. It’s thick and slightly tart, and is the perfect breakfast when you add some fresh fruit or even some trail mix to it!

7. Chocolate

Possibly the most important item to keep in your room. Chocolate is ridiculously satisfying, and cravings have a way of appearing at their own convenience, so being prepared with a good chocolate bar is really just a safety precaution. Usually any dark chocolate above 70% will work, but adding sea salt and caramel doesn’t hurt either. Dark chocolate with cacao nibs is another good option, and cacao nibs are a ‘super food’ so do your body a favor and eat the entire bar.

8. Hummus

Hummus is a great addition to most foods, and can be eaten with vegetables, crackers, or as part of a sandwich. It’s also pretty filling and provides a great source of vitamins, minerals and protein. We all know that hummus is the gateway to eating everything in your fridge.

9. Crackers

Wasa Crackers, specifically the multigrain ones, are surprisingly useful. Since you cannot toast bread in your dorm room, these are a combination between toast and crackers that allow you to pull together a more substantial snack. Pile some almond butter and bananas on top, or some hummus and avocado for the perfect snack or meal.

Now take a trip to Wegmans with some friends and stock up your fridge because the snow is just getting started!