Anna Schultz-Girl Looking Up In Forest
Anna Schultz-Girl Looking Up In Forest
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

6 Ways to Take a Break When the News is too Much

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HWS chapter.

While it is important to be informed and involved in current events, it is also necessary to give yourself time to disconnect. This can oftentimes be overwhelming with everything happening in the news. It is important to take a break from all the headlines and focus on taking care of yourself, both physically and mentally. Here are 5 ways to disconnect from the headlines and practice self-care. 

1. Avoid Social Media 

One of the biggest things you can do to help yourself is to take a break away from your social media apps. Being on social media will ultimately lead to seeing something about the news. Taking a break from social media will allow you to avoid news and also take time for yourself. 

2. Reading a Book 

A great way to take your mind off the overwhelming events happening in the news is to read a book. Whether it be your favorite book that you have read ten times or a first time read, it will take your mind off what is happening in reality. Specifically, fiction books are a great option because they can transport you into a different world. Here are a few great options: Harry Potter, To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before, Eleanor and Park, The Carrie Diaries

3. Nostalgia 

Do things that remind you of your childhood, or simpler times, when you didn’t need to be up-to-date on all current events. This is a great way to disconnect from what is going on in today’s world and bring back great childhood memories. Some great ways to do this is by watching your favorite old movies, TV shows, or listening to some old 2000s music. For a real throwback, you can play some of your favorite online games from your childhood, like WebkinzDisney Channel Games, and online games from our childhood.  

4. Go for a Walk 

Take a walk! This is a great way to get your mind off of current events and also explore nature. Being in nature is a great way to practice self-care and allows you to completely disconnect. If possible, you can even turn off your phone so that you can really enjoy the time by yourself and you can appreciate the sounds of nature. 

5. Treat Yourself

Have a treat yourself day! Grab a face mask, some tea or hot chocolate, and cuddle up with a good movie or book. You can also treat yourself to your favorite snack or meal! Treating yourself is a great way to take your mind off of things. Ask friends to join to make it even more fun! 

6. Spend Time With Friends 

A great way to take your mind off the news is to spend time with friends. Being around the company of friends is a great way to make yourself feel better. Whether it is watching a movie, having a meal, taking a walk, or just sitting around and talking, hanging out with friends can be some of the best therapy! In times when the world is so crazy, it is important to remember to surround yourself with the people you love and care about. 

Emme is a Classics and Women's Studies double major. In the future, she hopes to work politics and on political campaigns. She enjoys writing on topics such as current politics, women's issues, the environment, and popular entertainment. In her free time, she enjoys dancing, singing, listening to Broadway show tunes, and finding cute pictures of Corgis.