The Organ Grinder’s Monkey: Scottie Lee Meyers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Humboldt chapter.

Scottie’s Favorites:
Food: Cheese! “I’m a Wisconsin boy, so any kind of cheese I like. I’m really in to Cypress Grove goat cheese right now.”
Top 5 Movies: “Amelie,” “Life Is Beautiful,” “Detroit Rock City,” “Casablanca” and anything by Charlie Chaplin
Top 5 Bands: Grateful Dead, Broken Social Scene, David Byrne, Chuck Berry, The Avett Brothers
Color: Blue, Green and Brown. “Ya know, I’ve always wondered who names all these colors! That must be the best job in the world. I’m convinced there is a group of people sitting around just coming up with the craziest names for colors, like ‘Muffin-Top Brown,’ or something. I’m kind of mad that HSU doesn’t offer that major.”
One Request: Scottie Lee Meyers would like to ask YOU to ask him to dance at the Barn Dance!

If you tune in to KRFH, HSU’s student-run radio station, on a Wednesday night around 8 p.m. you may wonder who the funny and charismatic host behind this quirky and unique show might be.

That would be senior Journalism major, Scottie Lee Meyers, host of “The General Store Social.” Meyers’s KRFH classmates recently nominated him for a Radio Star Award as the Best Variety Show Host on RadioFlag — a social networking site for Internet radio.

“It’s really cool to have your peers appreciate what you do,” Meyers said. His passion for being a radio DJ and host has kept him with KRFH for six semesters.

“It’s so therapeutic,” Meyers said. “You get so consumed with the activity you’re doing and you just don’t worry about anything else.”

Meyers also serves as the features editor for The Lumberjack — HSU’s weekly newspaper.

“I get to interview all of these cool people and get to know what their doing, that’s my favorite part about being a journalist,” Meyers said. “I just had the opportunity to interview the guy from Missing Link Records; I’ve always wanted to know what it was like to be in that industry.”

Meyers usually plays a lot of folk, rockabilly and soul music on his show along with listener requests.

“Ever since I moved to Humboldt, my love for this type of music has really grown,” he said.

Eli Rohl, KRFH station manager, encourages students to tune in to Meyers’ show. “He has a fantastic personality, and he has great presence on the air,” Rohl said. “He’s just so darn likable!”

Rohl explained that if KRFH wins the Radio Star award, Meyers will be named in Radio World Magazine.

“The guy has done everything, and he’s all around outstanding,” Rohl says about Meyers. “He’s pretty much great at whatever he does.”

Besides random requests for Britney Spears to be played during his show, Meyers has had some interesting adventures in the studio. He recalls a time he brought his roommate’s puppy Beirut to the studio when he used to work the closing shift from midnight to 2 a.m.

“She was behaving really well, and everything was fine until I started to smell something funny right at the end of my show,” he said. “I walked out, and there was a steaming pile at the end of the hall in the studio. I had to run home, drop the dog off, and grab a whole bunch of cleaning supplies,” Meyers said with a laugh.

“There’s still a little stain in the carpet, no one notices it really, but I definitely do!”

While on Associated Students last year as the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences representative, Meyers worked with Rachel Brownell, AS Administrative Vice President.

“He is such a nice guy, and he was someone I really enjoyed working with,” she said.

Brownell likes to listen to Meyers’ show occasionally and isn’t surprised about his nomination.

“I think he definitely deserves it,” she said. “Besides being a really great guy, he is always involved with building HSU campus community.”

While on AS, Meyers worked on the Instructionally Related Activites budget, and helped decide how to put the students’ fee money to the best use.

“It was really cool to work with students and faculty in such a unique way,” Meyers said. “I have this new appreciation for HSU.”

Meyers writes the “Humboldt History” column for the features section in The Lumberjack. each week.

“I have been scanning old Lumberjack papers from the ‘60s and ‘70s, reading old stories and seeing what was going on in the past, on campus and in the community,” he said. “Arcata is such an interesting place, and the more I learn about it, the more I fall in love with it.”

Zoe is a 19-year-old sophomore at Humboldt State University. She is majoring in journalism with minors in graphic design and dance. She is currently the Assistant General Manager and Head of PR for the student-run radio station, KRFH, and the Head Layout Editor for HSU's student newspaper, The Lumberjack. She has also worked as a writer, photographer, and designer for the campus magazine, Osprey. Zoe is ecstatic to be starting HSU's Her Campus branch. With hopes to one day work at a major women's magazine, Her Campus is a step in the right direction. Aside from being an aspiring journalist, Zoe enjoys performing (she's danced for five years, played the cello for 10, and done musical theatre for 12!), bike riding, and painting.