This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Humboldt chapter.

Inviting your sweetheart over for a homecooked meal? Planning a dinner party with your roommates? Heading to a sorority potluck? You’ll need something to make, right? The editors of HC Humboldt are here to help you out with their favorite recipes!

Zoe Berman, Editor-in-Chief:
My go-to dish is chicken pesto pasta. It’s super easy and super delicious. The best part is that it is so yummy, everyone will think you spent hours slaving away over a hot stove to make it. I’ve definitely impressed a few men with my cooking skills with this one!

Prep time: About 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
1 jar of pesto
1 jar of sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil (you might have to slice them if they’re too big)
2 chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
1 box of bow tie pasta
Parmesan cheese
Crushed red pepper to taste
Olive oil

1. Heat the olive oil on the stove and add the chicken. Sprinkle the chicken with crushed red pepper. Cook until the chicken is cooked through.
2. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box.
3. In a large bowl (seriously, LARGE! This recipe is huge) combine the cooked pasta and chicken, pesto, and sun-dried tomatoes. Stir until everything is coated with pesto.
4. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and enjoy!

Stephanie Giles, News Editor:
Three words: Cheesy. Party. Potatoes. This potato dish is comfort food at its finest. Rich, creamy and cheesy! It is the perfect dish to make for a big family dinner, bring to a friendly potluck or to cook up for you and your roommate on a rainy day! This recipe is a Giles family classic.

Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 30 minutes

Ingredients:
1 bag of frozen cubed hash browns
3 cups cheddar cheese
1 onion, diced
16 oz. sour cream
1 stick softened butter
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix all of your ingredients except the potatoes together.
3. Mix in potatoes.
4. Put potato mixture in a baking dish.
5. Cover with foil.
6. Bake for 1 hour, covered.
7. After 1 hour, remove foil and cook until brown at edges (about 30 minutes.)

‘Alohi Bikle, Campus Celebrities Editor/Social Media Co-Director:
Between school, work, sorority and writing for my university’s newspaper, my life can get a bit hectic at times. I love this turkey chili recipe because I can make a pot of it on the weekend when I have time and pack a serving of it in a tupperware and be set to eat when those crazy days come. There are so many variations this recipe. You can add any vegetables you’d like and even switch the turkey for ground beef, or just not add any meat.  

Prep time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
1 lb ground turkey
1 white onion, diced
2 cups garbanzo beans
1 cup chili beans
2 bell peppers, diced
1 cup of fresh or frozen yellow corn
2 cans diced tomato
1 can tomato paste

Spices: (any amount, depending on how you like your chili)
Cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper

Little additions:
Shredded cheese, sour cream, green onion, tortilla chips

Directions:
1. Brown the ground turkey in pot.
2. Add diced onion and cook until soft.
3. Combine garbanzo beans, chili beans, bell pepper and corn.
4. Saute for about 5 minutes.
5. Add diced tomatoes and tomato paste.
6. Add spices to taste.
7. Cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes, then turn down to low and let sit for about 30 minutes.
8. Serve in a bowl and enjoy!

*It keeps for about four days in the fridge and it freezes well too!

Marie F. Estrada, Photo Editor:
Last semester, my boyfriend’s brother Dan suggested we make mango salsa. I was skeptical at first, unsure about how my taste buds would react to the spicy sweet combination. One taste and I was in heaven. This recipe is quick, easy and a perfect appetizer for just about any get together. If you are not keen on super spicy salsas, this mango salsa might be a good pick for you  — it is super mild!

Prep time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:
2 ripe Mangos
1 Lime
1 ½  Jalapeños

Directions
1. Slice, peel and dice the mangos.
2. Cut off the ends of the jalapenos and then slice in half length-wise.
3. Remove the seeds (they’re the hottest part!)
4. Dice the jalapeños — be careful not to touch your eyes!
5. Combine the jalapeno and mango.
6. Cut the lime in half and squeeze into the mango and jalapeno mixture.
7. Eat!

*You can add more jalapeno for more spice!

Shareen McFall, Events Editor:
You don’t have to be Mexican to make good chilaquiles. That’s what my friend taught me my first semester. Its an easy and fun dish to make as a group. Beware: they are addictive! You probably shouldn’t eat this every week no matter how tempting it may be.

Prep time: 10
Cook time:  20
Serves 1-2 people

Ingredients:
1 6 oz can of El Pato tomato sauce
Tortillas (4 per person)
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 pack of any shredded four cheese
1 head of lettuce
2 tomatoes
Sour cream

Directions:
1. In a medium sized saucepan, heat the oil for about 3 min.
2. Cut your tortillas in 9 squares.
3. Once the oil is hot, carefully place your tortillas and cook until golden brown. (remember to constantly move the tortillas around with a wooden spoon so they can cook evenly)
4. When tortillas are golden brown and crispy carefully remove from pan and place aside on a plate.
5. Open and pour El Pato tomato sauce in the pan that you removed the tortillas from.
6. Bring sauce to a boil then place the tortillas in sauce. Move the tortillas around for about 3 min to allow them to absorb the tomato sauce.
7. Serve your chilaquiles! You can add lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream for extra flavor.

*You may add water to tomato sauce to make it less spicy.

Ella Rathman, Assistant News Editor/Social Media Co-Director:
It’s Saturday, lunchtime, and you just got paid. You want to treat yourself to something tasty, so you grab your girls and head to Japhy’s. When you get there you realize something terrible: they’re closed!  You forgot. Now how will you satisfy that huge craving for their thai curry? I can’t tell you how many times this happened to me, and now I have finally mastered a quick recipe to please my stomach!

Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 tablespoon Thai curry paste, or to taste
1/2 cup sliced zucchini
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
1/4 cup sliced carrots
2 small red potatoes, sliced
1/2 yellow onion, sliced
1 can (14 ounce) coconut milk

1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Mix in the curry paste, zucchini, bell pepper, carrot and onion. Cook and stir for a few minutes.
2. Pour coconut milk into the skillet. Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat for 1 minutes.

Vanessa Gonsalves, Business Manager:  
I’m a huge pizza lover! Instead of spending money on a greasy and overpriced pizza, I love to make pita pizzas. Pita pizzas are very easy to make and are so much fun to make with a friend or girlfriend/boyfriend. Plus, you get to nibble at the ingredients while making your pizzas!

My personal favorite is pesto chicken with feta cheese pizza, but this does require a little bit more time because you’ll need to cook the chicken before hand.

Here’s the basic recipe for any kind of pizza! Enjoy!

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 7-10 minutes

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons of either or both pizza sauce and pesto
1 Cup of any kind of cheese you’d like. I’d recommend Mozzarella or Feta Cheese for some serious flavor
½ Cup of any topping of your choice (Veggies, cooked meats, cheeses)
½ Teaspoon of pepper or a dash of red pepper flakes for some extra spice

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Spoon pizza sauce and/or pesto sauce over pita rounds. Top with cheese and desired toppings.
3. Either place directly onto stove rack or onto a baking sheet and cook for 7-10 minutes, or until cheese mas melted.
4. Serve immediately and enjoy the yumminess!

Danie Homand, Business Manager:
The dish I make that has people always going back for seconds is Lemon Pepper Shrimp and Linguine. It is an easy-to-make meal, and does not take very long either! Shrimp cooks fast, so make sure to start your pasta beforehand.

Ingredients:
8 ounces of linguine pasta
1 tablespoon of olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
½ cup of chicken broth
¼ cup of white wine
1 lemon, juiced
½ teaspoon lemon zest (get it from the lemon you juiced!)
salt to taste
2 teaspoons of freshly ground black pepper
1 pound of fresh shrimp, deveined and no tails
¼ cup of butter
1 tablespoon fresh basil

Directions:
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add linguine and for nine to 13 minutes, then drain.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and saute garlic for about a minute.
3. Mix in chicken broth, wine, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper.
4. Turn the heat to low and simmer the sauce until it is reduced by about ½.
5. Put in the shrimp, butter and basil. Cook two to three minutes, or until shrimp are opaque.
6. Stir in the cooked linguine and cook until shrimp are pink. Then enjoy!

Zoe is a 19-year-old sophomore at Humboldt State University. She is majoring in journalism with minors in graphic design and dance. She is currently the Assistant General Manager and Head of PR for the student-run radio station, KRFH, and the Head Layout Editor for HSU's student newspaper, The Lumberjack. She has also worked as a writer, photographer, and designer for the campus magazine, Osprey. Zoe is ecstatic to be starting HSU's Her Campus branch. With hopes to one day work at a major women's magazine, Her Campus is a step in the right direction. Aside from being an aspiring journalist, Zoe enjoys performing (she's danced for five years, played the cello for 10, and done musical theatre for 12!), bike riding, and painting.
Ella is a student at Humboldt State University majoring in Media Studies with a minor in Music.  She has experience working as the Layout Editor of HSU's magazine, the Osprey.  Her hobbies include playing music (flute), listening to music, swimming, hanging out in the sun, and being friends!