This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HPU chapter.

Now that I’m graduating from college, everyone has been asking me the same question: what are your plans after your graduation? I always feel embarrassed when I reply with “I’m not sure” or “I’ll probably find a 9 to 5”. From a young age, I’ve constantly felt the pressure to strive for perfection and have my life figured out. Even now, I still get criticized for not having a concrete plan and my love for writing and photography.

There are only a few weeks of the semester left, and I’m mentally exhausted. I’ve been pushing myself for the past eight years. I was obsessing over my GPA throughout high school to ensure that my parents wouldn’t need to worry about tuition. Once I entered college, I continued to stress over my GPA and didn’t take time for myself. As I mentioned in my last article, “My Proudest Accomplishment During My College Career,” my mental health declined because of my lack of self-care. 

With that being said, the only plan I have is to take time off after graduation to breathe and reflect. Although I’m eager to enter the workforce and establish a stable foundation for myself, I need to prioritize my mental health above anything else. I’ve always had to prioritize school, and with that chapter now coming to a close, I want to solely focus on my passions during my break. 

Last year during the lockdown, I realized how much I’ve drifted from my writing and photography. It was those two things that carried me through while I was in Australia. I also realized how much I wanted to pursue writing and photography as a career despite the risks. There’s no doubt I’m willing to work hard towards my dream career as a blogger/ photographer, but that’s not even the hardest obstacle. The hardest part about this uncertain transition is having people doubt me or question my ability. 

Depression and anxiety don’t make this any easier, but I know I’ll continue to persevere through every seed of doubt. I didn’t come this far just to give up on myself again. 

This is officially my last article I’ll be writing for Her Campus. Thank you again to all of you who have supported my writing journey. I truly enjoyed my time interning as a writer!

Dori was born and raised here in Honolulu, Hawaii. She is currently a senior majoring in Communications with a minor in writing. Besides writing, she loves blogging/journaling, photography, and boba!