6 Things I Realized During Life After High School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HPU chapter.

1.  My parents were RIGHT…about everything

Seriously. If my mom and dad had 5 cents for every time I rolled my eyes at something they said, they’d have more than adequate monetary reimbursement for putting up with me from age 14 to 17. It’s (apparently) an important part of being a teenager; that is, rebelling against your parents’ wisdom – similarly, it’s an important part of early adulthood to realize how stupid you were as a teenager. Most of the good decisions I’ve made in recent years are decisions that my parents probably suggested to me when I was 15, which I ignored/did the opposite of because I thought I knew everything.

2.  It does get better after high school

Trust me – if you’re one of those people whose friends say “high school was the best four years of my life!” and you just don’t get it, you’re not alone. High school is an experience that helps break you down and build you back up with a small portion of the skills that will be applied towards an independent and responsible lifestyle in future years. Sure, there is a level of nostalgia about thinking of the care-free lifestyle and financial stability of it all, but the truth is that high school is not the same nor even really similar to any other portion of your life – if your past is better than your present or your future, then you should be doing everything in your power to change it.

3. Never make life decisions based on a high school romance

Let me say it again for those of you in the back…Do NOT plan your future around the boy you thought you loved in high school. Some people live long and happy lives together with their high school sweetheart, but the overwhelming majority don’t. If you really love that boy, then do it while living your own life and making your own decisions; if it’s meant to be, you’ll still be together after the mess that is ages 18-25.

4.  Losing your virginity doesn’t have to be a big deal

Lose it however and whenever you want to – it simply doesn’t matter, and anyone who cares or gives you shit for how or when you lost it isn’t someone you should be hanging out with anyway. Arguably more importantly – if you already HAVE lost it – DON’T REGRET IT!! 99% of people do not have that special, cheesy-rom-com moment with candles and romantic music and twinkle lights. Sex is messy, both physically and emotionally, and that is something that society just does not prepare us for. So, if you didn’t have that magic moment, especially if you were a teenager, don’t worry – teenage boys are the worst and eventually you’ll find someone to give you that magic moment you dreamed of.

5.  All-nighters are overrated

Freshman: OMG, I stayed up all night studying! I’m so nervous for this test!

Senior: Oh, there was a test yesterday? Did I take that? How’d I do?

There is pretty much always something better you could be doing with your time than spending all night studying. Number one, go to SLEEP! So many of life’s problems, including ones that are your own fault like procrastinating a 10-page paper until the night before it’s due, can be solved by simply going to bed, and facing it without the burden of being hysterically under-rested. I’m not going to say “figure out how to manage your time so you don’t procrastinate!” Because the reality is, that’s not how life works and it’s not human nature. Do, however, figure out when to prioritize homework and when to prioritize self-care. The point is, don’t kill yourself studying – it is 100% possible to get good grades without spending 24/7 with your nose in a book. There is a point in time where it is important to realize – college is about learning, but it’s also an experience. So, take that creative writing class, join that club, date that cute basketball player. Do what makes you happy – not what makes you miserable to achieve that .1 higher GPA and get the same diploma that you would’ve anyway.

6.  Find what motivates you

I have certain priorities that help me stay motivated in college, and they are different from yours and literally everyone else’s. I find inspiration from the future – whenever I feel down or uninspired I think about everything I’m doing now that will make my life better in 5 years. I also look to the people that inspire me – making my parents proud is something that encourages me to strive for excellence every day. Maybe that person for you is a friend, a sibling, a grandparent – but always seek to fill your life with people that inspire you.

The point is…well, I’m not sure there really is a point. The idea here is to help you realize that, if there’s a problem you’re facing, there’s a 99% chance that other people around you are struggling with the same thing; if your life isn’t what you want it to be, CHANGE IT, and for the love of whatever you believe in, call your mother and tell her ‘thank you’ and ‘I love you.’

Katrina Hicks

Northwestern '19

.
Amanda is a senior at HPU working towards her degrees in mass communication and integrated multimedia. She loves all things related to design, photography, and journalism. Her dream is to move back to the big apple and work for Cosmopolitan magazine. When not sipping on Starbucks while studying, you can find her doing crossfit or diving.