her-campus-clubs
her-campus-clubs
Canva/Pexels/Unsplash

From President to Writer at HPU Her Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HPU chapter.

I joined HPU HerCampus a year after it was started at HPU when I was a freshman. I was a writer and social media editor at the time. The club struggled to survive as there was a small team and many members weren’t committed. The reins of the club were passed off to me since both the President and Co-president were seniors and graduating. I ran HPU HerCampus during my sophomore year and it was a struggle. After putting out a few articles and participating in events, I decided to hand the reins over to someone that was more suited for the role.

Before I even stepped foot onto the HPU campus, I was already invested in the idea of Her Campus. I applied to be a social media editor during the summer before I arrived on the island for the school year. I met with the President and Co-president to go over my responsibilities and tasks. I helped out with Halloween Funfest and tried to grow the presence on the HPU campus. There were not that many active members, so when the reins had to be passed on to someone else, I was the first one in line. It was hard to take on the role of President because Her Campus is not a regular club. There were deadlines to meet and the requirements. Not to mention, there were many  HerCampus sponsored samples that we were given to pass out on campus. It was fun, but I do not think HPU was ready for Her Campus yet. 

Once the end of my sophomore year was coming up, I decided to step down. I received a message from Mya who was interested in taking my place. When we met on campus during my junior year, I handed her the HerCampus binder I was given filled with knowledge. I still helped out with recruiting and writing articles. I was impressed by Mya’s leadership and was happy to see an eager group of young women who stood beside her. Fast forward to now, I cannot stop praising the executive team and the wonderful group of college students that the HPU HerCampus chapter has brought in. Even my freshman mentee joined and is rocking it!

Her Campus is such a unique experience and I am so glad that I could be a part of it during my time here. If you are interested in joining, you should! It is not something you will regret.