Not-So-Scary Halloween Movies You Can Watch All Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HPU chapter.

Yes, I know Halloween has passed, and for most people, the next thing to do is to go straight to Christmas! Now, as much as I love that, I know it’s not for everyone. Some people just want to dwell in the Halloween / Fall spirit. So for those who just aren’t ready to leave the spooky season, here’s a list of some not-so-scary Halloween movies to add to your next movie night. Still bringing the fall vibes, just minus the horror films that might come to mind first. Think of it as no tricks, just treats!

The Nightmare Before Christmas

An absolute classic! Can be enjoyed during both the Halloween and Christmas seasons (or whenever you feel like it). Follows the story of Jack Skellington, the king of Halloweentown as he attempts to bring Christmas to his town. This movie is full of Halloween and Christmas cheer, with an unforgettable soundtrack and characters, this is one of my go-to’s for the spooky season.

Harry Potter Series

It wouldn’t be a spooky season without some magic! As a huge Potterhead myself, I see Halloween as one of the most perfect times to watch the Harry Potter movies. However, I watch these pretty but as often as I can! Whether it’s just a few of them or all 8 in a row, these movies add the perfect amount of Halloween magic to your season.

Hocus Pocus

Arguably one of the most popular Halloween movies! This 90’s Disney classic follows a young boy who awakens The Sanderson sisters, a trio of witches who feed on children. Full of classic Disney fun and unforgettable characters, Hocus Pocus is the perfect mix of spooky and nostalgia. There’s a reason this movie has had such an impact over the years, so much so that a sequel has been announced for next year.

Ghostbusters

An absolute classic! I don’t think it would be Halloween without this iconic crew. The theme song itself is so recognizable, and who can forget the Stay Puft marshmallow man? Since the first movie in 1984, there’s been a sequel and the 2016 version with an all-female cast. There’s set to be another one coming this year, proving the impact that this franchise has on pop culture.

Coraline

One of my favorite movies for sure, Coraline is a spooky movie filled with imagination and adventure. We follow Coraline on her journey to another world which seems to be the “perfect” version of her life, but within it lies scary secrets. She meets a variety of creative characters along the way, including a talking cat and a strange boy named Wyborn also known as Wybie, just to name a few. This adventure is perfect for the right amount of creepy and cute. Definitely, one of my go-to’s regardless of the season.

Corpse Bride

Another lovable classic! Victor and Victoria’s families have arranged their marriage, and while they both like each other Victor becomes nervous. Before the wedding, Victor finds himself dragged into the land of the dead and married to the deceased Emily. Disaster ensues, and the characters must fight for what they want. This adventure is full of Tim Burton charm and with the iconic duo of Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter, I would add this one to your movie list.

Edward Scissorhands

This movie follows gentle Edward, played by Johnny Depp, who has scissors for his hands. He is taken in by a loving saleswoman, where he falls in love with her teen daughter, played by Winona Ryder. However, he continues to be an outcast as he struggles to find this place in the world. It’s hard not to love Johnny Depp as this misunderstood and dreamy character.

Rocky Horror Picture Show

This cult classic follows Brad and Janet as they discover the eerie mansion belonging to Dr. Frank-N-Furter played by Tim Curry, a transvestite scientist. The main characters meet a variety of kooky characters throughout their journey. Full of catchy rock songs, this 1975 classic has made itself into the hearts of many.

Beetlejuice

Follows the story of a deceased couple as their home is taken by an unbearable family. They enlist the help of a malicious spirit to try and drive them out. Another Tim Burton film brings the right amount of creepy to Halloween. All while creating interesting characters with this colorful cast consisting of Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis, Catherin O’Hara, Winona Ryder, Michael Keaton, and more.

Halloweentown

Another Disney classic, following the main character Marnie who travels to Halloweentown with her grandmother. Finding out that she comes from a family of witches who are involved in a fight against evil threatening to take over the world. Being a Disney Channel Original Movie, this one is perfect for some childhood whimsy and more of a fun approach to Halloween magic.

Casper

This playful movie was part of my childhood. It follows Kat, a young girl who moves into a house with her father, only to be haunted by a friendly ghost named Casper. As her father attempts to communicate with the spirits, Casper’s troublemaking uncles prove this to be an interesting task. A perfect family-friendly movie, this one is sure to bring you some friendly ghost vibes.

The Addams Family

It wouldn’t be Halloween without this frightening family! The head of the family consists of Gomez and Morticia Addams who relish their unconventional lifestyle with their other family members. This movie tells the story of this bizarre family as they reunite with who they believe to be their long-lost relative. Full of mystery and eerie jokes, this adventure is ultimately about love and loyalty. Although this isn’t your typical family, we love them all the same.

Clue

Based on the popular board game, this comedy takes place at a dinner party. The host admits to blackmailing each guest and eventually ends up dead. The question is, who killed him? Each guest suddenly becomes a suspect and they try to figure out who committed the murder. With each memorable character unique in their way, you’re in for a night full of mystery, murder, and madness.

Monster House

This 2006 animated film follows the adventures of 3 children as they discover a spooky house in the neighborhood. Of course, nobody believes them when they say that this house is a living monster. They must find a way to destroy this malicious house before trick-or-treaters meet their doom.

Hubie Halloween

Probably one of the most recent movies on this list, Hubie Halloween was released in 2020. It follows the main character Hubie Dubois, played by the iconic Adam Sandler, as he plays the mockery of his hometown of Salem. Except for this year, it’s up to him to save Halloween and everything that he loves. Full of countless cameos from a variety of actors, this movie provides great comedic relief during the Halloween season. Besides, how can you go wrong with an Adam Sandler movie?

Los Angeles -> Honolulu I am a first-generation college student born and raised in Southern California. I'm currently majoring in Communications with a minor in Marketing at HPU and love my life on Oahu! My dream job would be working on an NHL social team due to my combined love of photography and hockey.