This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HPU chapter.

Valentine’s Day is widely known as a holiday to celebrate romance and relationships. But you don’t have to be in a relationship to enjoy it. You can make it whatever you want it to be, such as dedicating the day to yourself, indulging in self-care, and spoiling yourself. Buy that new outfit you’ve been eyeing, get takeout from your favorite restaurant, try that new skincare regime you’ve been curious about. It’s totally okay also not to celebrate if that’s what you prefer, and you can treat it just as you would for any other day and not participate in the grand display of love and affection. Don’t be pressured into commemorating it if that’s what you want. Treat it as your anti-Valentine’s Day.

What is an anti-Valentine’s Day, you may ask? Well, I’ll explain it to you.

You reject Valentine’s Day and don’t acknowledge its existence. It can be a difficult holiday to endure as a single person due to all of the love and PDA and general lovey-dovey-ness of it all. I can give you a few pointers on what to do if this is totally your vibe.

-Red and pink are the commonly known colors of this holiday, do the opposite and wear black and other dark colors. 

– Instead of romcoms, watch horror movies or whatever is worthy of being a binge session catered to your tastes.

– Forget all of the love songs. Listen to or create your own playlist of songs about independence and singledom.

Remember to enjoy yourself regardless of your choice of celebration on February 14th. Meanwhile, my plans include a face mask and treating myself to food delivery. Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone. 

Hi my name is Kirby! I was born and raised in Los Angeles, California and moved to Hawaii for college. I’m a Mass Comm major with a love for travel, food, and books.