4 Reasons Why Going to the Movies Alone is the Best Way to Treat Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at HPU chapter.

There are lots of opinions out there about the best way to relax and take a step back from the stresses of life. My personal solution when I need a little bit of detox time is to go to the movies – all by myself. Most people, when I tell them I do this, get sad for me and think that it’s a little bit pathetic, as if I couldn’t find any friends to go with me. However, I think alone time is important for even the most social of butterflies, and here’s why I think movies are a great solo activity.

1. You can watch whatever you want

Sometimes going to a movie with friends or family means compromising on what to see – which is fine, but sometimes you want to go see the cheesiest, lamest romantic comedy ever without anyone judging you.

2. Nobody talks to you for 2 hours

No really – NO ONE TALKS TO YOU FOR TWO HOURS! There are so few times in our lives (other than when we’re sleeping) that we can be truly alone with our thoughts, and sometimes ceasing communication, especially on our phones, can be healthy.

3. CANDY

Speaking of healthy… at the movies, you totally don’t have to be. If you want to splurge on popcorn AND candy AND a slurpee AND what the heck, a hot dog too – no one can stop you! Eating junk food with friends is great, but eating it alone in a dark theater is truly transformative.

4. It gets you out of bed

I am totally guilty of spending my alone time at home being a hermit. Of course I love hanging out with my friends, but pretty much whenever I feel like being alone it ends of being this sad affair of me lying in my bed watching Netflix for 6 hours. Going out to the movie theater is a great way to get you out of the house while still enjoying that precious alone time.

Now after all that… I’m off to the movies!

Katrina Hicks

Northwestern '19

.