Style > Beauty

Why You Should Add a Chemical Exfoliator to Your Skin Care Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Blackheads can be such a bother to look at on your face– and they can be very difficult to get rid of. I have oily skin, which makes me prone to blackheads, especially around my nose and cheek area. I have been on the search to find the right product to help get rid of my blackheads, and I finally came across something that actually works! Chemical exfoliator! 

Chemical exfoliators are acids that help remove dead skin, and they are similar to physical exfoliants such as sugar and salt scrubs. However, physical exfoliants can be too harsh and abrasive for facial application and can lead to irritation on your face. Chemical exfoliators offer a more gentle and effective method to facial exfoliation because the acids are able to remove layers of dead skin and penetrate the pores more deeply without disrupting the skin’s natural barrier. There are three types of chemical exfoliants: alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs), beta hydroxy acids (BHAs), and polyhydroxy acids (PHAs). AHAs, which include citric, glycolic, and lactic acid, are best used to even out skin tone and improve discoloration. BHAs include salicylic and topic acid and these acids work well for acne-prone skin because they help unclog pores. PHAs include gluconolactone and lactobionic acid and work best for sensitive skin. 

I have been using a BHA exfoliator with salicylic acid for almost a year now. Thanks to this product, my blackheads have cleared up so well. My results did not happen overnight; over time, the blackheads on my face slowly disappeared because of the unclogging properties of the salicylic acid. I highly recommend for everyone to add a chemical exfoliator to their skincare routine, especially if you are struggling with blackheads. With consistent and proper use of a chemical exfoliator, you are sure to have clear, smooth, and even skin.

Hi, my name is Briana and I am from Philadelphia P.A. I am a senior Biology major with minors in Chemistry and Spanish studying at Howard University. My interests include writing, dancing, and natural hair and skin care.