This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

As a college student, I always find it intriguing to watch rich people play dress up. Every year, celebrities and influencers surprise their fans, via their social media accounts, with various photos of their impressive Halloween costumes. Some go for a scary look, sexy, or just darn cute. But regardless, seeing what the wealthy do to make their costumes as realistic as possible has definitely become a treat to online viewers.

Providing celebrities with all sorts of feedback has also become a part of this phenomena, regardless of whether or not it may come across as uplifting or hurtful. For instance, the most noticeable criticism this Halloween season is that celebrities dressing up as other celebrities is just, as some would think, weird or simply lacking in creativity. For example, Lori Harvey dressed up as Beyoncé in two of her most iconic music videos: “Me, Myself, and I” and “Check On It”. Although the star, undoubtedly, looked stunning and pulled off the costumes quite well, a few onlookers noted that someone cannot truly win the holiday by dressing up as another celebrity. Likewise, Kerry Washington took on the bold move of dressing up as a younger Lionel Richie. However, Washington faced little to no backlash, compared to Harvey, because of how funny her costume turned out.

On the other hand, celebrities, such as Tyga, DDG, Halle Bailey, Mulatto, Janelle Monae, and more, impressed their followers with their creative and creepy looks of fictional characters. Even spookier was Diddy, who dressed up as The Joker, considering that he acted out the role in a very realistic and convincing manner.

All things considered, it is more than obvious that the internet is extremely invested in the creative minds of the rich and famous. While we continue to debate on who truly won this year’s Halloween, we get to live in a state of contentment, just knowing that we will get to experience and express our opinions on the silly costumes of celebrities for years to come.

Jada White

Howard '26

I am a freshman, broadcast journalism major at Howard University. I am originally from Atlanta, Georgia.